Unknown Type Of Convulsion

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stinkpot

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new. I have 3 types of seizures. Generalized convulsion, simple partial, and complex partial.

But I also have another kind - but I don't know what it is! I see 2 neurologists and both slide their way through the question!

This type of seizure is alot like the generalized convulsion - except I'm conscious during it! And unlike the generalized convulsion, I do not have a postictal aftermath.

These types of convulsions started about 2 years ago. I've only had 3.

So what do you think? Just the "conscious form" of the generalized convulsion or a new kind of seizure? Or something else?

Please respond if you have an answer! I could really use it!

Regards,

Stinkpot

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone, I did have one almost exactly of what you described. Mine started with an auditory aura, and then I was thrown into the convulsions immediately after. I was conscious and aware while I was convulsing, unable to scream or control my body while it happened. I experienced the extremely sore muscles and a bitten up tongue for the next few days, however, I had little to no post-ictal confusion. I've only experienced this once, every other TC I've had I was unconscious for. I am still curious as to what this was myself.

There are over 50 different kinds of seizure disorders, so there probably quite a few variations that the neurologists don't have a name for. In many non-generalized seizures there are muscular side effects involving tensing and shaking of the muscles, so it sounds like you've ended up with a hybrid of that and a t-c. It's interesting that remaining conscious seems to prevent the post-ictal hangover.

You should also be aware that you can have Non-epileptic seizures along with the classic variety. The brain is a complex organ.

May I squeeze in another question regarding topic?

Now that I've listed my types of seizures, do you think yall may have an idea of what could be causing my seizures? Need any more info?
I might get an MRI next week, but I dunno. I'm so scared what they may find - and excited to know that I can finally get one!

I am afraid we are not able to diagnose. We can share similar situations, and what has worked for us.
An MRI is a good place to start. Rebecca has had two. There is also something called an MRA which looks at the vessels of the brain. It is rarely offered. As with SPECT, PET, and brain mapping. Most conventional approaches want to try medication prior to figuring out the cause. At least that is how I view it.
Rebecca's MRI showed a heterotopia which Neuro #1 said was causing the seizure. Neuro team #2 said no it wasn't Neuro #3 said it was. They all are doing their best at taking an educated guess. No need to be scared. One foot in front of the other towards health.

My daughters seizures all were different when on different medication. I believe her body did not tolerate the excess toxin in her system. After cleaning up her intake of processed foods, etc, her health is improving. I think her nervous system is highly sensitive, in addition she is a competitive athlete, and body demand is unique.

The majority of epilepsy cases don't have a specific cause, so don't necessarily get too hung up on that. Once you've been identified as having a lowered seizure threshold, it can be more useful to try and figure what the triggers are that push you over that threshold. A seizure journal can come in handy for that.

Sometimes people have both Epileptic seizures and seizures due to something else. One type results from other conditions, maybe cardiac, metebolic or other problems going on in the body.
If not, there is another type called non-convulsive seizures- those look like real seizures and can be caused from emotional stress (very high level), psychological conditions, or unknown.
Some people have non-epileptic seizures and they don't know the real reason why, or it can be linked to something psychological- but only a psychiatrist or doctor, or neuro would be able to tell you more about it if they feel its necessary.
Psuedo-seizures are seizures, just not epileptic in nature- there is no abnormal electrical discharge and don't show and epileptoform on the EEG.
Doctors can tell which kind of seizure it is if it happens when the EEG is running- or they go based off of observations of others and syptoms and how those happen..

I wish you luck with it.
Research if you can, and ask your doctor until you get some type of theory or answer.
Take care,
Crystal

Thanks guys.
I always fear a problem like they'l find a tumor, parasite, or something physical that will require brain surgery or something.

Back
Top Bottom