Update med changing to Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I ended up the ER about a month ago. I had awaken really, really dizzy, also while in bed. The only thing that kept me from falling was actually crawling to the bathroom.

They did a gazillion tests, called the neurologist (not local), etc. Finally gave me Valium and told me that there was a virus going around that causes severe vertigo. The Valium cleared up the dizziness pretty well (who'd have thought?). It lasted about 24 hours, but I've talked to other folks who have had it as long as 48 hours.

I think I got the gazillion tests because of history, but it all worked out OK.

Well, that's what we're hoping for, that it was a "fluke" kind of thing, but you know how your mind always seems to go into overtime, when you have Epilepsy, or are living with Epilepsy.

We thought for sure it was a adverse reaction to the Lamictal, and praying it wasn't!

We'll most likely never know what caused it.
I'm just glad he's okay today.

That's great, and you are correct in reference to
Antivert for vertigo, but there is a lot of things
that can cause vertigo ~ some of the issues can
be a result of temporary - such as cold, viral invasion,
etc ... But at least it is good news to hear, and let's
just hope that it is just that.

I've been on Lamictal for about 2 years now, and I've experienced the following side effects: excessive sweating, headaches, loss of memory, lack of coordination, and fatigue. I've had 1 seizure while on Lamictal, but my body was in shock, due to a biking accident.

I switched to the generic form 2 months ago, and I do NOT recommend it. I had a seizure last week, due to my levels being low. I've read the fillers in the generic cause this, but I was not aware of this prior to switching. It's cheaper, and who doesn't like cheaper, especially right now! I won't make that mistake again.

My body went through withdraws this past week. It was horrible, and I couldn't do anything for myself. I was so weak, it took everything I had to move.

I finally realized why yesterday, and I immediately had my meds refilled with name brand Lamictal. I feel 100% better after switching back to Lamictal. :e:

My husband has a seizure in April, due to having a rescription filled with generic Dilantin without our knowledge.

We won't do that again.

It's too much of a chance to take to use generic anti-seizure meds. Our Doctor writes "prescribe as written"

It's always something, isn't it? :ponder:

Hope you're going to be okay now, Christalle.

Hi Gary's wife/Mooselips-
Where in Ohio do you live? I was in the Akron mostly area for almost 20 years.

I have just started the lamictal, today is my second day. The neurologist kept stressing rash as a side affect. I was on Keppra for about 4 weeks and became very depressed.

E is a very scary thing. My parents made me promise that if I feel an 'aura' that I sit down (I'm 43) and was diagnosed last year.

If the lamictal does not work for me we will discuss surgery.

SMP

We live in North Royalton, Ohio, about 30 miles due South of Cleveland.

Gary doesn't get auras.
And we are loving the Lamictal.

The head Neuro guy at the Clinic wanted Gary off the Dilantin and on Lamictal.
Less side effects.

I just wanted to update you guys. I started taking the Lamictal, after I got a refill on Saturday. I was OK on Saturday, except for being a little dizzy. I was fine on Sunday, but about noon today, I felt dizzy, had a headache, and was a tad bit nauseous. I couldn't concentrate, and my balance was off. I think this is due to the meds getting back in my system. I remember experiencing these symptoms when I first started taking Lamictal, but I can't remember how bad they were.

Did your husband experience this once he switch back to brand name Dilantin?

I have an appointment on Friday with my doctor, so hopefully I'll be OK until then.

My husband has always been "off balance" on the Lamictal.

Not extremely dizzy, just an off blance type of thing on occasion.

This "vertigo" thing he had was a whole new ballgame.

He was not dizzy at all, or off balance, on Dilantin.

I also have coordination problems, but I'm sure that's a side effects of most seizure meds. I just feel "off".

I remember being dizzy when I first started Lamictal, so it must be the meds getting back into my system.

If Lamictal is supposed to be better, why are the side effects so bad? I've only been on Lamictal, and luckily I haven't had to try out any other meds. It just seems I see people complaining about Lamictal more than any other medication.

IMO, I think it comes down to everyones's system is different.

Some people may do better on Dilantin, some on Lamictal, some on Keppra...it all depends on the individual person, and the type of epilepsy, I would imagine.

We are new to this, my husband was just diagnosed a year ago in October.

I'm pretty new to this too. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, but nobody ever gave me any information. I'm learning everything on my own, which is why CWO is so important to me now. :)

It's a good place to learn, and get lots of info from ppl who REALLY know about Epilepsy, because they've been there!

I've just reached my desired level of Lamictal after the ramp up period. I am also almost off of my Keppra. So far, I am feeling much better, both from an epilepsy standpoint and side effects.

I was extremely warned about the rash in the early stages as it can be very serious. Never really had one then. After 4-5 weeks, the doctor said any rash now would be simply related to reaching the titration levels and an indication we may need to ramp up more slowly. I do have some very minor rash on my torso, but hardly enough to even see.

Getting off my Keppra seems to be clearing my mind. Keppra did a good job for me for over 5 years. But it ran its course and it was time to move on to a new drug. I only used the generic Keppra after it came out in November, but my doctor is OK with the generic Lamictal as long as I have no problems.

Also been on Phenytek/Dilantin for 27 years.

So I guess the obvious question is:

Eventually, all drugs fail, and you have to start a new one?

If that is the case, how long can we anticipate the Lamictal controlling his seizures?

We're extremely pleased with the lamictal.

I wouldn't say all drugs eventually fail. Though I know it is hard on my body, I have successfully been on dilantin for 27+ years. Over the last 5, I have taken a form called Phenytek which is time released.

By the way, I am from the other side of the state. We seem to be getting quite a few Ohio members in here now.

My son is on Lamictal since 1/2006 150mg 2x a day. It works great on his grand mals. It did take him a few months at the beginning to get used to it then it went real well. I have started to see side effects the last few months that make me want to consider changing it. Every med works different for everyone. I wish you well and am glad he is doing well.

joan*

I recently did the 12 week transition from 550mg Dilantin to 200mg Lamictal. I've had 3 separate episodes within the last month both with and without auras. The last occurred whilst driving and now that's destroyed.Meds aint working.I am walking. WTF?

Im so sorry to hear. Have you spoke to your Dr? Time while changing meds seem to be a rough time. Are you eating well? Sleeping well? Not stressing out? Exercising? Its not easy, I know. I hope you figure it out.

joan *

That's lame. :(

What are your auras like? I've heard a lot of people talk about them, but I'm not sure what they are really. Is it what happens when you feel a seizure coming on? Not to sound uneducated, but I am when it comes to auras. I'm not sure if I've ever had one.

Back
Top Bottom