Urinating during seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
I know that this is a very common thing during seizures, as the muscles relax.

It's only ever happened to me once or maybe twice, and i was wondering if this was normal.

Soooo i suppose i'm just wondering if this happens to some, most, or is it supposed to be all?

Sorry, seems like a really stupid question, even by my standards :pfft:, but i am curious.

I've had about 20 tonic-clonics (as far as I can remember), and I think I only peed myself during the very first seizure (which was actually one immediately followed by another) and maybe one other time.

You'd think that i'd ask some members of my family who also have epilepsy about some of this stuff, but to be honest i'd be way too embarrassed lol.

I'm glad this place is here!

Incontinence has occurred sporadically with my wife during TC seizures. I don't recall her ever being incontinent during a TC that occurred after she had been up and about before the seizure. Seems like the incontinence always occurred when she had a TC during the night or morning when she was still in bed (but not with all TC seizures she's had in bed).

Anybody have incontinence during a Simple Partial or Complex Partial? I'm asking because my PCP has explained it away a hundred other ways. But it's turning out almost all my baffling things are E. So maybe this is too.

Previously, I had only had incontinence during grand mals, but in the last few months, it's happened twice, once during a Complex Partial, and once during a Simple Partial- confused the crap outta me. Oh well. Honestly, it's usually the least of my worries at the time.

I've never had incontinence from a seizure but occasionally after a complex partial I'll get a tingling in my bladder that makes me have to urinate.

Now that I think of it, that hasn't happened for a while.

Never had incontinence from a seizure either, but like you eric, I get that tingle thing. after a grad mal, CHad says I simply mumble sometimes and stumble my way to go pee. A few times after complex partials it has happened too.

Is it possible to void your bowels after a seizure *of any sort?* I never had, but just wondering.

I've never had incontinence from a seizure but occasionally after a complex partial I'll get a tingling in my bladder that makes me have to urinate.

Now that I think of it, that hasn't happened for a while.

I've had that as well. After a TC that's the first thing I need to do. After that I get the urge to go look out the window. Not sure why.

Usually have to go afterwards...have only had it happen once or twice during and I was on my way to the bathroom when the seizure happened.

Happened to me on the one I had last month but not on any other seizure. I wasn't even aware of it until we had gotten to the hospital and I was switching from the ambulance gurney to the ER bed. As much as I learned about Epilepsy in the past 10 years, I was STILL horribly embarrassed. Must be human nature. I'm just happy I had on black pants instead of my denim dress I was going to wear. Still, walking out of the ER with a soggy bottom at 3 a.m. into 43 degree temp was not a lot of fun.

Well, the reason i ask is that the first time i had a tc, i did, and a couple of times during the night i have done it too. Not a nice thing to wake up to, lol! That, and the mystery bruises and stuff was what led the neuro to diagnose night time seizures.

Had to rush down and put my sheets on to wash without anyone noticing :p

I only uninated during 3 spells but I always have to go to the bathroom after.

Opening this up as kept popping up round google when I was searching, had a ouch night last night as was incontinent for the second time during a sizure, to be honest first tine felt truly ashamed and now been paranoid I smelt of wee all day, as managed too change bedding put quilt in wash then two minutes if being back in bed bang happened again was that exasusted by thus time rolled ogre went too.sleep, this afternoon when for a.lie down must have.hsd one in my sleeep woke up saturated :( just hope its nit gonna be a reg thing now :(

Maisy, you have a condition that you have no control over. goodness me, don't be embarrassed over the most natural bodily function we have. I actually wet the bed once without having a seizure. Just slept too heavy, dreamed about needing to wee and then whammo...wet bed. I must admit it didn't make me feel great either but there are many adults out there who have accidently wet themselves but the majority don't talk about it. Take Care

awww, hugs to everyone here, i feel for you. with 19 years of seizures including 14 grand mals i have never peed or had any need to after coming around. no bladder tingling etc. all i can say is that maybe within an hour later i will go, but to me that's just like any other day, i drink alot of coffee and water so am going every three hours or so anyway. first thing i want is a smoke!!
again, hugs guys, as if we don't have enough to bloody deal with. i'm with sandie too, pls don't feel embarrassed :)

When I had grand mals I never peed my self or bit my tounge. Back then even if I was in status The doctors never asked me that question in the er. Now its a common question even when I was in the psych ward a couple of weeks ago they would ask me if I had bit my tounge! March last year when I went to the ER for the first time in years. They didn't believe it was a real seizure because I didn't lose control of by bladder or bite my tonge. Just shows how times have changed

Maisy, bless your heart I want to give you a big ol HUG and I don't care even if you do smell like pee pee!! :) *wink* I remember right after I was diagnosed a few months ago I woke up in the morning and I had wet the bed sometime in the night and I couldn't figure out the hell was wrong with me. I knew very little about E or what was going on with my body and the changes that were taking place. Of course I didn't tell a soul!! I did this a few nights in a row and then I stopped... It's so natural and honestly happens to all of us or at least most of us. Even those that don't have seizures, we've all been piss drunk at one point in our lives *little uncomfortable humor*

Pita, my son in law in an EMT (a very young one) and we had a bit of a war of words a couple weeks back about this very subject. He said when he goes out on calls and the person he is responding to has not lost bladder control he often believes they are faking it. I about flipped out on him when he said that!! Let me just tell you by the time we finished our conversation, he may have changed his opinion a bit. At the very least, he wasn't saying much.

Only had issues with this at the very beginning, before I was on medication. I became so paranoid about it through that for the next 6 months I still slept with protection under my sheets!

Back
Top Bottom