Very curious

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I think i have a caffeine addiction not 100% sure, but I get really bad headaches, get cranky and feel very tired if I don't caffeine. I drink 7-8 caffeinated pops a day. Can this interfere with seizures?

Caffeine can definitely be a trigger for some and 7-8 does seem like a lot to me. Have you ever tried cutting back to see if it helps you feel any better?

I have 2 cans of diet Dr Pepper every morning and if I drink them too fast I feel jittery. However, I can't start my day without atleast 1 in a tall cup of ice.. lol.

Unfortunately, headaches during caffeine withdrawal are common.

Last edited:
I have tried cutting down only to suffer the headaches, crankiness and extreme tiredness. It doesn't help getting up with an infant through the night and plus startung college wednesday definitely will not help I know. And if I get none at all I am a flat out bitch and get migraines. Idk what to do about it.

Doctors have told me Cafeine can be a trigger. I drink cafeinated sodas too, Pepsi Max. I need to cut them out cause I think it contributed to my Ulcerative Colitis that resulted in the removal of my colon.

I was advised by a friend on here to cut out the amount of fuzzy soda drinks i drank .... And only have caffeine free ones ... Once i did that my seizures decreased slightly and i was really happy ...now i only have 7up as its caffeine free and color and sugar free to :)

But yes you can get addicted to caffeine .... The worst is them energy drinks Ive seen no end of people addicted to them ....they seem to have them every day ...

I think you should try and cut down a little and see how you do ... Dont cut down major in one go as you will get withdrawal and feel worse Xx

I hope all of those aren't diet. The stuff in that can be bad. Of course anything can be bad if over-done. I stick to only two pepsi's a day. Sometimes I only have one, and feel okay.

I have never liked sodas at all, but I would not want to do without my caffeinated coffee! Caffeine has never seemed to ave any effect on my seizures one way or another, and now research is showing that coffee is good for you! The sugary, chemically, soft drinks apparently not so much, though. Have you considered getting your caffeine through coffee or tea? (BTW, I learned the other day that the caffeine in tea is called theine. Who knew?)

i get pounding head ache if drink to much caffine....i know chap who drank so much coke he had to go to rehab wean off it...about 8or nine liters a day proberly more

that's a lot of coke cazzy. If he drank regular, it would give you a sugar high too and probably give you a lot of dental problems. I know drinking too much soda contributed to my ulcerative colitis and now I don't have a colon. Doctors said it was totally beyond saving and I had less than a 10% chance of survival without the surgery. It's way beyond being addicted to caffeine, it can cause a lot of other health issues

I don't like coffee personally. I think it's gross. I do, however, like tea. I have tried cutting down, but then I get the bad headaches and what not.

Definatly I had a serious addiction too energy drinks at one time probably equivalent too two litres if not more a day pretty much off them now but ca t help myself sometimes and blam i have a seizure, now also cutting out stuff with sweetners and colourants as i read this can excite the brain or something just drink pints of water now, we only drink xafgiene because think we need too wake up but the body is actually dehydrated so all it needs id lots of water!!

Have you tried to wean *VERY* gradually? Like the first month limit yourself to 6 pops, a month later limit to 5... I get caffeine-withdrawal headaches too, but my vice is coffee. I love Coke, but I drink decaf Coke because of how much coffee I drink.

Back
Top Bottom