Vimpat?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dfwtexas

New
Reaction score
I have been on Keppra since being diagnosed in March 2008. Before starting Keppra, I could go weeks without a simple or complex seizure or I could have days that I had several in a day. With the Keppra, it is so much better. However I cannot stay seizure free more than 4-6 months. I am going in next week to see my neuro and have been reading about adding Vimpat to Keppra for better seizure control. I am curious if anyone has added this drug and what your experience had been.

I don't do well on most of these, e.g. big time bad on Keppra. Depakote worked for 15 years but I went toxic on it last year so I am not a good example. Am now trying out topomax, low dose, so far,so good. 5 meds since Oct. Was stepping up on Zonagran and it was causing personality changes--rude, loud and obnoxious behavior when I was put on Vimpat. I noticed immediate problem, wild mood changes--shouting, throwing things, etc. Was told that I ruined family party. Med sheet says to notify Dr. asap with mood changes, I wasn't smart enough to notice in time. This little beauty is also very expensive, about $100/bottle of 60 tabs. Drs seem to like so it must work for lots of people. Watch for mood swings. Best Wishes and Good Luck.

I also had an awful time on Keppra. My focus & memory were so bad that I couldn't read because I"d forget the previous sentence. I could sleep 16 hours easily & when I was awake I felt like I was in a dream. The worst part is that ocassionally I would feel extreme rage like I've never felt before.

Once I adjusted, Keppra has done a good job...I guess I may just need to be ok with only going 4-6 months seizure free. i will see what my doc says tomorrow. Thanks ya'll!

Doc upped my Keppra to 1250 twice a day and going back in 2 months. If I have any more in 2 months, he will add Vimpat. He said he is having great feedback from patients on it...no side effects!

Back
Top Bottom