Vimpat as monotherapy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cathy

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I have had uncontrolled partial seizures for the last three years and have been on quite a few medications, all with very unpleasant side effects. My neurologist wants me to try Vimpat as a standalone medication, and wean me off of my current medication (Zonegran). I know most of the time Zimpat is used in conjunction with other medications.

Has anyone used Zimpat as monotherapy (i.e., by itself), and if so, what was your experience? What about side effects?

I also am scheduled for a Wada test in two weeks. Anyone have anything to say about what that was like?

Thank you for any information you can provide,
Cathy

I have been on Vimpat since it first came out and hove been on it alone for over a year. the only side effect I have from it is a slight head ache every once in a while. only noticed because I don't usually get head aches and after I had it happen a few times I decided to see if it was a side effect and sure enough. other then that I think it is great just have to take some IB Prophen every once in a while. since it is only approved for secondary usage I was wondering what is the max dosage as a monotherapy drug. let me know. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom