Vivid Dreams

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mr e, after tons and tons of posts about vivid dreams on these types of meds, please be mindful and considerate to the ones sharing their experiences. Believing differently is perfectly fine, just remember to be polite.

I'm sorry I had no intention of offending anyone...I was simply trying to share my view on the subject of dreams...but I felt that that view was twisted into a direct attack towards someone which was flat out uncalled for...sure I may have sounded a bit callous but I think I'm entitled to my opinion (to a certain degree)...however I also realize that I should take more time to place my words more carefully...I only ask that others do the same in return and not jump to conclusions and make false accusations about me based on a simple misunderstanding and/or misplaced words...let's face it...nobody speaks perfectly and people get offended...but we have to act like proper human beings and take responsibility for our actions...it's never a one way street...

I shall be more mindful of how I express myself from here on out...I do not wish to spoil anyone else's fun...I only wish to join in :)

I tend to have very vivid full color dreams (and remember them upon waking) if I happen to eat a very spicy meal a little too late in the evening. I would not be surprised at all if the peppers were stimulating production of some brain chemicals that contributed to the process.

As such, it also wouldn't surprise me that AEDs, which are designed to mess with the brain chemistry/function might have the same effect.

~~~

Edit: MrE - You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but in this forum, you are bound to express them politely. When you make a statement to the effect "all people who think/do X are Y", you shouldn't be surprised that any forum members who think/do X might be offended by your comment as a direct attack on them.

When you make a statement to the effect "all people who think/do X are Y", you shouldn't be surprised that any forum members who think/do X might be offended by your comment as a direct attack on them.

I am sorry sir but I am not quite sure I understand what you are saying here...can you please reiterate what you mean exactly...thank you :)

I've been on lamictal for years and none of my other meds have been changed for a few years either, so I don't think it has anything to do with it. But recently my dreams have become VERY vivid. I remember pretty much everything that happened during them. And it's to the point now when I wake up it takes me awhile to realize what was going on was a dream and not actually happening.

I'm reading a book and today it took me a few hours to realize what I thought the book was about wasn't.

A few weeks ago I dreamt that my husband told me he was getting me something special for Valentines day and it was going to come in the mail. When I asked him about it a few days later (not realizing it was a dream and I still swear it happened) he told me that it was a dream because he didn't order me anything. Guess I'll have to wait and see if that was a dream or not though?

I'm sitting here at 7am after about 3-4 hours sleep and I was moved enough to bother coming downstairs to post this before I forgot it.

I experience vivid dreams now and then which are always intense enough to wake me up, drenched in a cold sweat. They're always nightmares unfortunately, with very unpleasant themes and images. Usually they're like Hitchcock, Kubrick and Lynch all got together over some bad acid and decided to make a slasher flick for my personal viewing lol

The main recurring theme in them is one of powerlessness- lots of trying to run away from scary things through swamps of treacle etc, last night it was desperately needing to give out important information to save my life but only being able to produce a whispery croak.

So they're what a psych 101 student would call 'anxiety dreams'- they only happen when I'm going through extreme stress, and atm I am. Last night's was the usual gore flick, but tonight's? Spooky, but not warped and terrifying as usual.

I was at some kind of teen meet-up place out in the countryside, chugging beers, toking etc. In the dream I knew we'd done this lots of times, but that there was another reason for being there- it was an alien abduction site. We were sitting there, waiting to see if they'd come again, recounting our previous experiences (as we were only ever taken alone). Questions like "Do they ever hurt you? What's the place like? Do they say anything to you?

Well, finally the mysterious light did appear and scanned us as usual, one by one. They took one of the others this time and I was absolutely gutted lol We were all desperate to be taken as they were wonderful experiences, but I missed out tonight as I was having to deal with an irate farmer moaning about us scaring his cows :roflmao:

The last thing I remember was a final 'scan' before I woke up, and though I was drenched in the usual sweat, all I felt was the blissful serenity of that light, and a real sadness I'd been stopped (woken up) from going with them.

Dreams schmeams eh? I attribute them to my meds and think nothing of them- even though they're bad enough that I can imagine recounting then on a couch in the future and seeing the psych's hand going under the desk furiously tapping the button for security :p

I wanted to share that one though, because it's the first 'night terror' I've remembered with that wonderful blissful feeling...

Have a nice day, I'm off back to bed :)

Last edited:
My vivid dreams, which as I posted earlier I have had all my life, seemed to abate quite a bit just after I got my vns activated on Jan 20 of this year. Unfortunately, in the past week or so they have started to come back full force. They are not necessarily nightmares but are often disturbing and frustrating, and I feel that they interfere with me getting good sleep.

I have had very vivid dreams all my life. As a kid I kept my friends entertained with them!

Now, I don't remember as easily, however I wake myself up talking to people all the time. I'm meaning actual conversations. It takes a little bit to get to the "surface" so to speak. When I do awake and I am talking so much I thank God I live alone!

I have always had strange dreams. Usually they involve me watching myself and someone or something is going to do something bad to me. I am not scared but the other me (one on the receiving end of the villain is terrified). In elementary and middle school, it was the bad guy chasing me in the woods with a syringe. Not sure where that came from ... needles don't bother me.

When my lamotrigine level is adjusted, they become more vivid and bizarre. After a couple of weeks, they go back to my normal strange stuff.

Wow, talk about vivid dreams! That was what last night was all about. I won't describe it (though I could because it was so long and detailed) except to say that I was flying a lot. I love those dreams where I can just levitate right off the ground and soar through the air. It's a wonderful feeling. At one point I was showing off by hanging by my heels from the edge of the roof of a tall building. And on and on. Regardless, though, I still wish I would just sleep and be rested.

I used to have amazing recurrent dreams of swimming in beautiful turquoise water full of colorful fish and animals--I must have been releasing pounds of endorphins because they were euphoric dreams, almost like a religious experience. I want them back!! I just started on Lamictal and here's to hoping :)

Back
Top Bottom