VNS Who has had theirs replaced?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
I just went to my drs the other day and he was updating my VNS and moved up the time between cycles to closer between (1.8 min on a rapid cycle) and during that time checked the battery life and he said it is between 3-6 months left on the battery. I am going back in to talk to him about getting off one drug and onto another drug and then also talk about whether or not I should get the VNS replaced or not.

I have had my VNS since 2000 so it is amazing that mine still works since it is a "first generation" VNS and they don't make the same model I have anymore.

Those who have had your VNS replaced with a newer model, what is your experience?
Also, I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain and was wondering how the surgery went. Did they just use the old scars from the initial surgery to replace the unit near the arm or did they check the wires too?

Between the new cycling of the VNS and my research I find any info would be very helpful in my decision.
Thanks!

They use the same incisions to keep the scaring down. Lead life is about 3 years, so they should replace them but then you'll have to speak to the doctor about that. As for changing your meds, I'd hold off until AFTER you get the new generator. A lot of times there are adjustment problems to the new one and you want to be sure it's not the meds causing them.

BTW the new VNS site will be back up and open for business soon, you'll have to register there as the old board has already been moved.

Back
Top Bottom