voice changes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MAB

New
Reaction score
I don't know if this is related to epilepsy or to a stroke I had 5 years ago, or something else.

My voice has been changing over the last 2-3 years. It will just change in mid-sentence. People will notice and comment on it. Sometimes it's just for a few seconds but other times 10-15 minutes. It even happened in the neurologist office and she noticed it. I asked her if it was related to the seizures and she said no.

It continues to happen and has been become more frequent so I saw my PCP. She said to see an ENT. I saw him this morning and right away he said he knew what the problem was. It also happened in front of him but it was just for a few seconds but he said he noticed it. He went ahead and scoped my throat but said there was no problem with my throat. He said it is neurological and used the term that it has to due with my brain but he doesn't think it is a seizure.

Has anyone ever experienced this or have anything to add? I have googled it but still can't find what I am looking for.

Yes, sometimes. At times my voice will get so soft for several minutes that people can barely hear me. People frequently ask if I have a cold. I also need to clear my throat A LOT and it sounds a bit unprofessional at work.

I told had stroke last year my voice ok but when I lay down my throat hurts.do you have problems with eyes

My eyes are ok, other than the regular vision problems that most people have at 60 yo and a bit of blurry vision when I first started on lamictial.

I took Keppra for about 4 days but had a bad allergic reaction. Lamictial has been pretty much side effect free. A little blurry vision and I lost 35 pounds shortly after starting it but my doctor said it wasn't from the Lamictial. If it was from the lamictial it was a pleasant and welcome side effect. I haven't taken any other AED's. Other than that the only other thing I take occasionally for seizures is ativan.

My memory and error rate is higher but I'm not sure what the cause of that is.

Last edited:
How can you say your ENT knew what the problem was but you are still here trying to figure out what it was? Doesn't add up, sorry.

So what did the ENT doctor say the problem was??
You don't give much detail but based on what you do describe it sounds sort of like spasmodic dysphonia; a neighbour was diagnosed with this. Is this by chance what the ENT doc said?

Blimey wish it help me with weight . I not told go about throat,got enough health problems don't need him find another one.one thing I notice throt discomfort on one side sme side as the eye.it my thoughts that make me think stroke made been cause

How can you say your ENT knew what the problem was but you are still here trying to figure out what it was? Doesn't add up, sorry.

He said it was neurological, but he didn't know the reason. I was just asking if anyone else had experienced this.

He said it was neurological, but he didn't know the reason. I was just asking if anyone else had experienced this.

I will ask my son if correlation he doc,any luck I get more of than a grunt when I ask I tell you later tonight..daughterin law speech therapist I will ask her,she worked with stroke sufferes

CNS/neurological of unknown causes as of now. I appreciate your help seagull

If it turns out to be spasmodic dysphonia as masterjen mentions, the current treatment is botox injections (to relax certain throat muscles) and voice therapy. Is the problem getting worse?

It has been getting worse over the last 2-3 years but I don't think it is to the point that I want to consider injections and therapy yet

So what did the ENT doctor say the problem was??
You don't give much detail but based on what you do describe it sounds sort of like spasmodic dysphonia; a neighbour was diagnosed with this. Is this by chance what the ENT doc said?

No the ENT didn't say what it was just that it was a CNS/neurological problem. He dd mention speech therapy.

Back
Top Bottom