the waiting game

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

walkerjm3

New
Reaction score
I saw my neurologist last Monday for the first time after having my EEG. There was a resident doctor that came in before him to talk to me. After going through all of my symptoms as is done at every appointment, the resident started spouting off something like "well that doesn't sound like cancer, but it kind of sounds like MS". UH...WHAT?! My neurologist has never even said those two words to me. He then proceeded to say that an MRI should probably be ordered for me since I have only had CT scans done after my accidents.
My actual neurologist came in then and we went over some stuff. Most importantly that he increased my medication again, but thinks that in a couple to a few years I may be able to try to come off it. He did end up ordering the MRI for me to have done but said he doubted anything serious would show up on it.
I had the MRI done this morning and am now waiting to get the results. I've been freaking out all week, especially yesterday. I couldn't sleep last night. I finally had to take an Ativan to settle down long enough to be able to sleep. It probably sounds stupid, but I'm worried about how the results will come back. :eek:

It's not stupid; your reaction is completely human, and normal. I don't think it was appropriate for the resident to tell you it might be MS without first discussing his/her thoughts with your neurologist. Now you have something else to worry about - not fair!
I agree that an MRI is needed - they are fairly routine in someone who has seizures in order to rule out potential contributors, as rare as they may be. Do your best to adopt the mindset of your neurologist; ie. that he doubts anything serious will show up.
Hang in there, and don't be afraid to call your neurologist's office in a couple of days to find out if the results are in yet. Often they are read fairly quickly and are just sitting in the radiologist's outbox!

Settle down and breathe. You cannot tell the future. I asked and my Neuro who said it was standard to look at MRIs. I figure tests don't cure they give more info.

It's not stupid; your reaction is completely human, and normal. I don't think it was appropriate for the resident to tell you it might be MS without first discussing his/her thoughts with your neurologist.

:agree:
reacting as such is completely normal, would be odd if one didn't. those in the medical field that are not specialized often open their mouths when they shouldn't- don't put too much stock in it okay, they're not the pros for a reason. your neuro is the one, the only one who has the right, and enough knowledge, to tell you anything.
case in point (what a small world): i've recently had tests done for female issues, and an ovarian cyst was found. what did the ultrasound tech say? that my neurosurgeon possibly snipped my pituitary gland during surg and that could cause the cyst.

:soap: i've been given instructions and the contact to call and have her suspended. and am pondering telling my surgeon as well.
anyhow, don't put a whole lot of stalk into it unless heard from a pro. easier said than done, i know, but that person was way out of line and obviously doesn't respect patients or hospital rules.

Back
Top Bottom