Warning - (My neuro says) do NOT take B6

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I take 80mg of B6 a day from a B complex pill and my Multi-Vitamin and I haven't had any problems. Both the B complex and the Multi-Vitamin are time-released.

What I have learned from others that have been successful with self medicating, is that sometimes the body will not accept a certain nutrient until another issue is taken care of.

Also I am not sure if I wrote this before or not, forgive me if I have, but sometimes a vitamin or mineral needs another vitamin or mineral to be absorbed properly.

Also I am not sure if I wrote this before or not, forgive me if I have, but sometimes a vitamin or mineral needs another vitamin or mineral to be absorbed properly.

A lot of truth in this comment. Part of what I feel caused my B6 overdose. B6 is an enabler of many other vitamins and nutrients. I needed the B12, so took the B complex per doctor's advice. 100 mg was way too mych for me and more than anyone could possibly utilize without serious absorption issues.

In my opinion, any vitamin given at that level should be prescription only. A blood level test for my B6 was not very expensive.

Still not sure what caused the B12 to drop a few years ago. I had an period of extreme fatigue with pains in my chest wall (heart was perfectly fine). After almost collapsing, I found out my B12, iron, and thyroid levels had all crashed. The only other thing I tested positive for at the time was a titer for Coxsackie virus and an elevated levels of C-reactive proteins (usually related to inflamation).

Much of Brain's comments ring true. There are too many exceptions to the "modern truths" to explain away as anomolies. My gut feeling on that issue is that they are getting the food straight from the source with very little added along the way.

:twocents:

Brain, I have to agree. I think that alot of people's health issues today are due to all the chemicals, flavorings, additives, and preservatives that are in our food. If people went back to eating what was natural, or what they themselves grew (see how home gardens disappeared for a while?) they'd be healthier.

Hi Epileric

I take Keppra. My doctor told me to take Vitamin B6. I am not on Dilantin, but I am on mysoline (primidone). My neurologist said it is necessary for Keppra. I will have to ask him why? I buy my vitamins at WalMart. I will choose another store to buy them at.

He has not told me too, but I thought Vitamin B complex would be better. I will have to ask him about that as well.

I would assume that your neurologist told you to take B6 with Keppra because it (usually) helps lessen the anger caused by Keppra

Epileric

I did not know that Keppra causes anger. You threw a curve at me with that one. I will have to read what Bernard has put down to reduce Keppra side effects.

When I was on Keppra anger was one of the most bothersome side-effects for me. I know a lot of people have gotten it but not everybody does.

Bernard

I looked up your research and I have irritability, mood swings and depression. That is with taking Vitamin B-6. I will have to talk to my neurologist about this. I have had these symptoms, but I have not told him. I will now!!

Hey, I do think Sharon is onto something. My ancestors 2 and 3 generations back lived into their upper 80's and 90's eating their own meat they raised on the farm in Nebraska and growing their own food. No hormones, no artificial fertilizers and, certainly, no supplements. I have been a vitamin-taker most of my adult life but find that I have to do it in moderation or I feel much worse. I can't even take the ionic form of magnesium because it messes my stomach up. I kind of wonder if when we overdo it on one vitamin, we get another one out of sync. I guess we all have to do what works for each one of us individually.

Hi Kansas Educator

It was unusual to live to that age in 2 and 3 generations back. They were just plain healthy.

One time, I was sick and it turned out I had a lack of magnesium. They had to give it to me in an IV. Boy, it burned as it was going in. I had to wait half an hour for it to finally get in. Then I felt okay. Sometimes, when I am sick, I take my electrolytes in the Pedeatric form. It is mild and agrees with me.

For more information on B6/B vitamins and seizures: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/b6children/

http://faculty.washington.edu/sgospe/pyridoxine/index.html

I have been using vitamin B6 to control my seizures for nearly 38 years. I have never used any AEDs to control my seizures. AEDs have no positive effects on my seizures.

As far as I know from my own research and have been told by doctor's I am one of the oldest people in the world with this rare form of Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) Dependent Epilepsy.

My medication now consists of B vitamins only.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards

Andrew

Last edited:
Feast-------- I am 53 and still have family members living two generations removed from me. Two of my great-aunts are near 100. They both still live in their own homes, drive and are perfectly lucid and competent. That's on my grandmother's side (she died at 88). On my grandfather's side, I only recently lost my last great-uncle who died at 93. I guess I do have good genes! I think they've all always eaten simple healthy foods and kept a good attitude.

Hi Kansas Educator

Since it is hereditary, you will live a long life. That is great!! They must have eaten healthy foods. Keeping a good attitude is great for all of us. I almost died 3 times. One time my mother and father were told that. Then my husband was told 2 different times over the years.

I always had a good positive attitude. I firmly believe that helps people live longer.

hmmm interesting.

when my daughter's former neuro put her on keppra she also put her on 300mg of B-6. She also stated that that should be Lindsay max dose.

She's taken keppra and B-6 for about 4yrs. She's had two rounds of complete bloodwork and her liver is in great shape.

So who knows, anybody can o'd on vitamins too.

Hi.
Contrary to popular opinion , doctors have tried high doses pf b6 on everything from carpal tunnel to schizophrenia and have seen no improvement , probably causing the souring of notions toward nutritional cures.
As for the adverse effects of synthetic b6 , 500mg/day has been set as the safe upper limit . patients who took more than 500mg/day developed severe sensory neuropathies which led to their being unable to walk. on the bright side , however , natural b6 (from real food) showed no side effects at high doses. So gorge yourself silly on b6 rich foods , but think twice before popping the pills
i hope this clears things up and has been of help,
Arvind

Hi Six Pack

I am glad your daughter has had good results with B-6 and Keppra. I hope I do too. My liver is in great shape too. I get tested for Lamictal and Keppra every 3 months for my liver.

Hi drarvindt

I hope you become a neurologist. Are you the epileptic or your wife? I hope neither. I hope you are here to learn about epilepsy to treat us when you become a neurologist.
So, the most B-6 I should take is 500 mg a day. My neurologist never told me how much. I am not taking that much though.

Dear feast ,
i have juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. have had it for the last 13 years. that's the woman i plan to make my wife (do i look that old?) :)
i meant that taking b6 natural food is a much better option . i don't advise you to risk more than 300 mg a day even though the textbooks say that severe side effects only showed up after 500 mg. no one is the same and i don't really trust pharma companies. so play it safe a bit and don't do more than 300 , better yet , don';t take any synthetic b6 but ask a nutritionist or check the web for foods rich in b6 and load up on those.

Last edited:
As I stated in my first post back on page 1, be careful and have you level of B6 tested. You can then adjust your dosage based on your known level. On 100 mg per day, I went toxic! Again, it was part of a supplement I was taking to get my B12.

Everything in moderation. Even the good stuff.

Sixpack - your situation may be different since your daughter has the extensive health issues, so I would just keep working with your doctor and request the blood test. It was not very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom