Warning - (My neuro says) do NOT take B6

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Moderation in all things. I have dropped my Vitamin B-complex. I am now taking Vitamin B6, every other day.No proof, just my personal deciscion.

Forms of B6 are the key

Pyridoxine has side effects at high doses. P5P aka PLP is safer and more bio-available.

Here's a quote from OSU: Because adverse effects have only been documented from vitamin B6 supplements and never from food sources, safety concerning only the supplemental form of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) is discussed. Although vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin and is excreted in the urine, long-term supplementation with very high doses of pyridoxine may result in painful neurological symptoms known as sensory neuropathy.

I'm too new to be allowed to post the link.

I attempted to take B-6 because I read it and B-12 were recommended for people on seizure medicine. B-12 does great, but when I tried B-6 for a week, I had a lot of auras a day (usually only have about 3 a month) until I stopped taking B-6.
I currently take Keppra and Dilantin.

Generally speaking, the B-complex vitamins are beneficial to the brain. But everyone reacts differently to vitamins, and different brands may use different fillers that some folks might be sensitive to. B6 in particular has helped some people with mood-related side effects of Keppra. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4588452/

However, it may not help everyone, and, as with your experience, may have an adverse effect. It's also recommended that it be taken during the day, rather than the evening since it may interfere with sleep. If possible, any B vitamins should be taken at the same time as any anti-seizure medication, at a consistent daily dose.

Back
Top Bottom