Water Retention

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

flinnigan

New
Reaction score
I know this belongs in woman's issues but I couldn't find it. I had my WADA on Thurs. and had a wonderful nurse. She's been a nurse in the Neuro dept. for 40 years. We were talking about hormones and seizures and she had a theory. As she put it it only takes 1/2 a shot glass of water to cause the brain to swell enough to feel the pressure of the skull and maybe that's why we have increased seizures at that time. Has anyone heard this theory before? If so what are some healthy natural ways to reduce water retention? I allready watch my salt intake. I hope these questions aren't redundant. If this has been discussed before please point me in that direction.

I have had trouble vacationing in the mountains for years because your brain naturally retains water while there. I have way more migraines which turned out to be partial seizures. It is frustrating to have an excruciating headache most of the time you are on vacation.

There must be something we can do about it. Have your Drs suggested anything?

When I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter I retained approx 20 lbs of water. I saw an OB and a perinatoligist because my legs were so swollen I had water blisters on them but my blood press. was normal.
Throughout my pgncy and before, I did not have any seizures, not a one. After I delivered my daugher though I started having seizures. My hormones were being flushed out of my system and the seizures while in the hospital after the c-section.

There are quite a few women here who have Catemenial Epilepsy, caused by change in hormones during their monthly cycles. My dr is monitoring me this past month, this month and next month to see if anything changes while on Diamox, which is also a medication for water retention. So far it has been helping and he also advised me to get an IUD, for birth control and to increase the progesterone that I am most likely lacking of.

Back
Top Bottom