Are We Special?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
There has been scientific studies back and forth, but no truly proven facts...so opinion: do people with epilepsy have a sixth sense, the ability to read minds or have any kind of other ability that involves the mind?

"We" is a very loose term considering over 1 percent of the population has epilepsy!

Speaking for myself, no special powers or abilities to report sadly. I think many of the more famous creative types who were known or suspected to have epilepsy had the Temporal Lobe variety, so there may be some connection there.

I "sense" that you might be interested in these threads...
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f27/do-you-experience-psychic-phenomena-9235/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/psychic-game-research-12699/

...but I could be wrong!

along the same line,I read that people with temporal lobe epilepsy may experience high religiosity.This has definitely been my case,but makes me wonder if we are special because of that?

I have temporal lobe epilepsy (left part of my brain) and Ive always felt like I had certain times when I could see, hear or smell things that were not there to others. I recall when I was 13 years old, after my aunt died, I experience my "first" time where I was with my little cousin, actually "seeing" my aunt, after she passed away. It was so weird, Its like this happened yesterday and I recall it so well.

My aunt lived in a small little town, and after she passed away, we still stayed in town for a few more days after her funeral. I took my little cousin downtown to a store that had a cafe in it. We ordered a pop and sat down, when I happened to look up, the the table just one table over from us, there sat my aunt. I had to take a double look! This lady sat there, looking down, reading a book. When I kept looking at her, she finally looked up, smiled and looked back down at the book again. She had her face and everything. The hair was the same, it was like I was imagining her! I recall wanting to so badly go over to this person, but apart of me was like "stuck" to the seat. I just couldnt move! I recall not wanting to say anything to my cousin, she she was so young, and she wouldnt understand. I looked to the back of me to see if our ride was there yet. When I turned back to where the lady was sitting, she was gone. Like she vanished in thin air. The book was gone, the cup was gone she was drinking from. I went over to the counter to see if the waitress gal had saw her, like she picked up the cup she was drinking from? The lady said there was no lady there! I didnt know what to think. I was in disbelief. Whats even more odd, is that my aunt's parents kept hearing her cries at night coming from her old room in their house. Her mom was awaken by them one night and she got up, and kept trying to figure out where the cries were coming from. She opened her daughters old room she had as a child, her stuff from a child was still there, things she wanted to keep. And they found a picture frame that was moved from the night stand to the floor across the room!

Now since my aunt's passing, ive had 3 other dear family member pass away, and to this day, Ive had encounters with them too. The smell of their colognes or perfumes. Seeing a person that looks JUST like them. Songs that come on the radio that were their favorite, and then the smell of them comes out of no where with it. Its just a "odd feeling" i get sometimes. But its been 9 years since my cousins passings, and 16 years since my aunt passing, and Im now comfortable with these signs. I kind of smile and depending on the signs I get, I may softly say "hi" to them. Just to aknowledge them. :) I know it may sound weird, but since this has all happened to me, and Ive gotten use to it, Its just my way of dealing with this.

that is beautiful kristin and it does make one feel they are special because they have these abilities to have these encounters.I have different experiences that make no sense but its like we were handed a gift since we have to live wih what we do these kinds of experiences are a blessing.I too, have left temporal lobe and i just feel I will never be normal in my head and all I do or say is not normal.Even if I never had another seizure,my mind feels weird all the time.

Back
Top Bottom