Weakness and Complex partial seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone- I was able to finally see my neurologist last month. As a part of our initial interview/visit- I had to describe my seizures, my medications, how things are going and any other medical problems that I am having if any.
I was diagnosed with migraines and my diagnosis of complex partial seizures/epilepsy is still the same. I've had complex partial seizures my whole life- or since age 6.
One thing I pointed out to him was that I had drop seizures if I reduced my medication down- mainly Tegretol XR by 200mg. Now I'm going to be getting off of it and I'm afraid of having more of those. I live upstairs and its a fear for me now.

Another thing I pointed out, and I wanted to know if any other people have this, was right sided weakness after a complex partial seizure in my right arm.
I told him that after I'm more aware- I notice my right arm from my shoulder to my finger tips feels weak, almost sick feeling. I can do things with it- but i just want to hold it still and wait for a while for the odd feeling to go away.
It can last from 5min to 20min depending.
He told me that because its on my right side that things happen on, my seizures are coming from the left side of my brain.
I just never really heard of someone getting weakness after a seizure on one side and not the other.
Just curious if others had a similar feeling after wards.

I also told him that before a CP- I sometimes am told that I try to do something to stop it. As if I had some type of control over it. The last time I did this- I was listening to my XM radio through my hearing aids. I took the remote control and was changing the channels over and over again as if that would make my seizure not progress. This did not work.
Anyone else have this feeling of trying to avoid the seizure or stop it before it
progesses further?

Everyone take care,
Crystal

A quick search for postictal weakness yielded the following:
In 1895, Kojewnikoff described a unique type of prolonged seizure, which he named epilepsia partialis continua (EPC). Since then, this name has been ascribed to various nosological entities: EPC as a variation of jacksonian epilepsy, as a jacksonian status epilepticus, as myoclonus epilepsy, as continuous localized myoclonia, or as an extrapyramidal syndrome.1

This phenomenon can be considered the status epilepticus equivalent of simple partial motor seizures. It manifests itself as focal motor clonic seizures without jacksonian march; seizures remain localized to the part of the body in which they originate; motor activity is often persistent, lasting for at least 60 minutes and often for hours, days, weeks, or even longer. Consciousness usually is preserved but postictal weakness is frequently evident.2,3 In the vast majority of cases, the seizures are of cortical origin; however, subcortical mechanisms also have been proposed.4 Antiepileptic drugs, with a few notable exceptions, do not seem to significantly alter the course of this condition.5 EPC can be an expression of a stable neurological lesion or a progressive disease, such as Rasmussen syndrome.6

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1186731-overview

There are more results which point to the muscle weakness being a form of Todd's Paralysis:
A postictal state that is characterized by a motor weakness in the distribution of muscles controlled by seizing neurons is called Todd’s paralysis.3

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/after_ab_post.html

Hi Crystal,

I just read about the weakness you are having yesterday. I have frontal lobe epilepsy and it causes weakness that you are describing. I do get this too and have always wondered. I don't get it very often but do get it. I also experience the drop seizures as well. Since being diagnosed on Tuesday of this week I have been doing some reading and came across the weakness you are describing and yes, your neuro is correct from what I have read. Say if the weakness if coming from your left arm then the seizure is originating from your right side of your brain so I think your doctor is very correct.

Take care and I hope the weakness is gone by now. Also, why is your doctor reducing your meds if you don't mind me asking?

tam bam

Hello Tam Bam- My neurologist is reducing my Tegretol XR 600 to 400mg and lower over time while I get on Lamictal. I now take Keppra xR 3000mg, Tegretol XR 400mg and now Lamictal 50mg. I'm getting off of Tegretol XR soon which is a good thing. I have never liked being on it and I've been on it for two years or so- maybe three by now. It isn't working very well and so my neuro wants to add on Lamictal to my Keppra XR. I like my new neurologist- my old one, she didn't seem to ever let me off Tegretol XR- the only time she did was when I had a fear or death severely and constantly as a side-effect of Tegretol XR by itself. She took me off and put me on Dilantin which had no effect.
Anyways- now on Lamictal, Keppra XR and Tegretol XR until the Tegretol is reduced all the way. I am fearful of more drop attacks from reducing the Tegretol but hoping for the best.

Take care,
Crystal

Well, I am hoping for the best for you as well. Let me know how you are doing if you don't mind. I know the drop attacks are very troublesome and debiltating. I too suffer from them. At times I don't want to leave the house because of them. I do understand. Take care and many hugs.

tam bam

Back
Top Bottom