Weight Gain and Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eemcn529

New
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been discussed before, but for anyone with a child on Keppra only, did you notice any weight gain? My 9 year old has gained approximately 15 lbs since January and I am not sure if that is something related to the medicine that can't be helped, or if it is poor diet and lack of exercise. My husband keeps telling me not to worry but I do!! When I look at the Keppra website it says it does not contribute to weight gain.

Hello. I've been taking Keppra for a couple months and i haven't experienced any side effects. I think its a really good medication. It's the first anti-seizure med that i haven't had a side effect with. Good luck and take care!

I have seen this question from just a couple of other people. Most do not have any weight problems with Keppra. I have been on it for over 4 years and was already fairly heavy when I started. With a lot of diet and exercise, I actually lost 50 pounds over about a one year span (put a little of it back on lately).

I would watch his diet and exercise more than the Keppra. The change in meds or the epilepsy itself may be making him less active. Keppra is also known to impact your mood, that might be making him eat more than usual as well.

I am on tegretol right now and have gained about 20 pounds in the last 5 months. I am looking for a new drug to take to regulate my weight. Keppra is the one I am thinking of. I hope I hear good reviews. But I believe exercise does help. These drugs tell the brain to slow down, so in turn we have to do more exercise I think.

Hmmmm....he's 9? Is it possible he's getting ready for another growth spurt? I notice my little ones put on weight, then grown taller, then there's a pause, followed by putting on weight, growing taller, etc. It seems to be a cycle. For a while we had a hard time getting them to not eat a whole pizza by themselves.

I am on tegretol right now and have gained about 20 pounds in the last 5 months. I am looking for a new drug to take to regulate my weight. Keppra is the one I am thinking of. I hope I hear good reviews. But I believe exercise does help. These drugs tell the brain to slow down, so in turn we have to do more exercise I think.

Interesting way of looking at it. That sounds logical. Maybe it is not the drug directly, but our related activities resulting from the drugs and E. I "try" to stay pretty active, so maybe that is how I avoided the weight gain.

:ponder:

Back
Top Bottom