weight gain related to seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jfpinell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Something I never heard anyone in my life talk about or have ever read anything on this possibility, but can weight gain increase seizures? Up until high school, I only had 2 or 3 generalized seizures in my life (except for more I don't remember as a newborn), and 1 was caused by a mis-directed dodgeball hitting me square in the head at school in 2nd grade! Then I had 1 in auto shop in high school one morning, and the frequency of generalized increased. The only thing that changed during that time (aside from moving into the city from the farm at that time, and ending up eating canned store food with so many preservatives, etc. in which I'm convined is part of it too), is about 35 or 40 pounds in weight gain. I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. Anyone ever hear of that?

More than

likely it is the preservatives that were in the canned foods when you moved in town. If you look at the labels, there are things like MSG and aspartame in the boxes and cans which are neurotoxins, and lower the threshold for seizures for people like us.....making it more likely for a seizure to occur......

Weight gain can be caused by meds also.
I never had a problem with weight until I took a med gained like 35 pound sin my 30's. Belinda

I never had a problem with weight until I took a med gained like 35 pound sin my 30's. Belinda

Ditto! It is almost impossible to loose weight and keep it off if you are on meds that cause weight gain, especially the older you get the lower your metabolizism, which makes is even harder. :(

I was wondering if it could be the other way around...seizures increased by too much weight. I'm aware of the aspartame and such (I've read and been told aspartame was originally used as an ant poison! And if that's not bad enough...also once listed by the Pentagon as a possible additive to biological weapons!) -But yet the almighty FDA says it's perfectly safe for people to eat! Uhhhh...something wrong here? :ponder: The more I get into the natural stuff/Eastern medicine, the more I'm convinced that Someone already gave us everything we need.

I have no doubt that the better shape one person is in the less trouble their seizures will give them. That would make good sense since it stresses your body to be overweight.

Aspartame played a role in my first seizures. It's possible that I had a lower seizure threshold due to a childhood head injury, but when I had my first seizures at age 35, the only thing I had consumed over the course of the preceding day was a banana and several cans of Tab soda. I think the the aspartame (perhaps in combination with low blood sugar, and the pre-existing scar) was what pushed me over the edge.

I think that weight gain by itself might play a small role in causing seizures, but even more important would be the actual foods consumed, and any nutritional imbalances that might exist in your diet.

I am going to have to agree with Eric. It makes sense that if you are over weight, your body is not functioning at its best. Your liver is congested, sugar consumption via refined carbs, and preservatives are being shown to increase weight gain, Blood sugar imbalances, toxins aren't eliminated.

I am glad that you brought this up. I have considered it as being a cause for some.

Go look up "C.W. Douglass" on-line and subscribe to his e-letters. An M.D. who's broken away from the A.M.A., so to say. BOY! does he have some darn good stuff exposing many of the myths and false notions that have been put in everyone's minds by the food and drug companies!!

Back
Top Bottom