weight gain/weight loss on AEDs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am wondering which AEDs cause weight gain or weight loss. I had my routine physical yesterday and it was my first since I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. My family physician, though I love her, did not seem to be up on the more recent Epilepsy meds. I guess that is why I see my neuro. She was shocked by the ammount of Keppra that I was taking. She did not know that it was metabolized in the kidneys not the liver. And she said it causes weight gain, which is the opposite of what I have heard.

I actually heard BOTH ways....

...which makes more sense to me. That way the docs have an 'out' if it goes the other way!
:ponder:

I "think" (yeah, sure, you betcha) that most of the meds can effect each of us so very differently. Some of us gain on one and someone else will lose on it.

I gained a great deal on Depakote and lost a small ton ;) on Topamax. I gained and lost nothing on Keppra. It had no effect on me at all.

I actually lost weight when I was on Keppra, Topamax, Depakote, and Zonegran. Each one gave me bad stomach pains & diarrhea.

But when I was on Lyrica I gained alot of weight. I've been off it for about a month, and I'm still trying to loose the weight I gained.

I gained weight on Depakote, and started losing my hair. Lucky for me I have enough hair on my head for 3 people. :)

Primidone seems to have killed my hunger. I have to remind myself to eat before I start feeling woozy (nothing to be jealous about girls LOL)

I've lost weight since being on Topamax

Last edited:
I've lost weight on Topamax, Lamictal..I think it is still too early to tell but I bet I'll be losing weight or staying the same. Depakote- all I did was eat and sleep. I gained weight. Dilantin didn't change my weight at all...

Only Dopey-Kote (Depakote)
and Funky-Barbie-Tol (Phenobarbital)
caused me to balloon up.
(The photo of me is when
I was on the 'heavy side' and
was on the above - *gag*)

All other AEDs that I can
think of didn't cause me to
gain or loose any weight.

But I can sure as heck can
tell you a long list of those that
gave me hideous side effects!
:mad:

Lost way too much weight on Topamax (thirty pounds), gained some weight (ten pounds) on Tegretol and Depakote. Dilantin and Neurontin didn't change the weight at all for me.

I gained weight with almost all of them I tried but the biggest and fasted increase was with Depakote :razz2: :poop:

Depakote......OMG, I gained 65 pounds in a year! Spare me, I will NEVER take the stuff again if I can ever help it! I also gained about 80 pounds on Lamictal. Dilantin not so much......and the others over the years, no not really. Topamax I'm LOVING.......it's taking the weight OFF. 45 pounds so far.......granted, it does help that I'm choosing better foods to eat :woot::pfft::agree: BUT I also just DONT FEEL LIKE EATING either.

I tend to lose weight & have really bad insomnia regardless of which AED I'm taking. In 20 years while I wasn't on therapy my appetite was normal. As for insomnia, it was much better, but not perfect, since insomnia is my "natural state" anyway.

I take keppra and neurontin and haven't gained any weight. Topamax made me lose over 20lbs. Depakote made me gain weight! Take care.

chrono epilum caused me to gain weight, lamictal has made me lose weight but i was also eating much less and developed the beginnings of anorexia.
I am still having seizures but have checked out dietary options and am going to try these for a while.

Back
Top Bottom