Weight Training

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MajorT

New
Reaction score
I know that stressing our bodies physically can possibly contribute to having a seizure. I like to weight train and I feel better after I do and I enjoy it very much. I train 4-5 days a week and go at it pretty hard. I'm not one of the guys over there chatin' it up with the ladies, I'm there to get some work done. Can this kind of activity cause me to have a seizure or contribute to it?

I know that stressing our bodies physically can possibly contribute to having a seizure. I like to weight train and I feel better after I do and I enjoy it very much. I train 4-5 days a week and go at it pretty hard. I'm not one of the guys over there chatin' it up with the ladies, I'm there to get some work done. Can this kind of activity cause me to have a seizure or contribute to it?

are you taking any weight training supplements? like Myoplex Or maybe andro poppers? poppers and things like that might cause a seizure....

love angel

My daughter is a competitive figure skater and has seizures. In fact the very first one, was after a three hour practice, a caffeine drink, and not any protein. She was most likely dehydrated since she did not regularly drink water daily. Starting HS, and a major competition that weekend. Her diet was over all sweet and white. Intestinal troubles that I can remember....

I think water is REALLY important and I believe if the building blocks are placed a certain way, something can tip them over and you crash.

the reason im asking is because my husband who is into working out ...a long time ago introduced me to some things like Effadrine and things like that.... to speed up my metabolism that kind of stuff made me really sick.... working out never caused me to have a seizure.... I only have simple partial seizures and complex partials though..

love angel

Our results are in accordance with those of Gotze et al. (6) and Horyd et al. (7), who also reported a reduction in epileptiform discharges in EEG of 30 and 43 adult patients, respectively, during exercise (deep knee bends and ergometer cycling) as compared with that during rest and hyperventilation. Ten of the 43 patients of Horyd et al. (7) exhibited an increase in epileptiform discharges immediately after the exercise, and a similar finding was reported both by Kuijer (8) and Bemey et al. (9). According to Kuijer (8) and Esquivel et al. (10) this postexercise increase in epileptiform discharges may be correlated to low blood pH values.

The mechanisms of interaction between physcial exercise and epilepsy are mostly unknown. Some physiological changes associated with exercise may inhibit seizures, e.g., general brain arousal (11), increase in cerebral B-endorphins (12,13), dehydration, and a slight metabolic acidosis (especially in anaerobic exercise) (6), and some may be seizure-inducing, e.g., hypoglycemia, hyperthermia, and stress, with ensuing release of catecholamines and, in some instances, hyperventilation
(14,15).

Does Physical Exercise Influence the Occurrence of Epileptiform EEG Discharges in Children? (.PDF file)

I am printing that one out Bernard... Thank You!
You are a super duper web host :adore:

My husband always says I overdo the swimming or the walking. That I have to learn moderation. He says I push myself I have tried to do better now that I am walking and doing yoga daily.

Riva

Angel, I am only supplementing with protein whey and casein. I also use creatine. My neurologist actually told me that creatine has been shown to show positive side effects in people with brain disorders. Creatine is also found naturally in red meats. Other than that I am taking no other supplements other that one a day vitamins. I know pretty well how these supplements work in the body graduating with a Kinesiology degree and having taken multiple physiology classes.

I really do find enjoyment and satisfaction in weight training and the pain of soreness. I never push myself so far I am sick or out of commission but I do work hard. Also, all the benefits of a healthy lifestyle like improved heart health, increased metabolism, Improved homonal profile, etc may outweigh the negative effects of exercise to the epileptic person.

Angel, I am only supplementing with protein whey and casein. I also use creatine. My neurologist actually told me that creatine has been shown to show positive side effects in people with brain disorders. Creatine is also found naturally in red meats. Other than that I am taking no other supplements other that one a day vitamins. I know pretty well how these supplements work in the body graduating with a Kinesiology degree and having taken multiple physiology classes.

I really do find enjoyment and satisfaction in weight training and the pain of soreness. I never push myself so far I am sick or out of commission but I do work hard. Also, all the benefits of a healthy lifestyle like improved heart health, increased metabolism, Improved homonal profile, etc may outweigh the negative effects of exercise to the epileptic person.

I agree, I'm happy to hear your not taking any of the other junk .... I haven't been eating much for some reason i can seem to eat while taking keppra I have some
syntha-6 protein powder, after reading your post decided to at least drink some of that it seems to have helped....I have some Creatine & myoplex lite I've never heard of casein?

my husband and I are going to start working out together again...we both felt so much better. I'm also cutting back on the keppra I do think that if i start working out again eating right and try to just focus on the good things I use to enjoy, things will start to look up :) since starting e meds again Ive gained 30 pounds :( no energy and am depressed...... so i gave up....

you've inspired me to at least try again to work out...

thank you

angel :)

Angel, I am only supplementing with protein whey and casein.

Supplementing with casein? Why? The body can't break it down.

You might want to read about the GARD diet for some interesting information about casein and whey (gluten).

Angel, casein is a protein found in cow's milk. It's the gluey substance that allows cheese to melt.

If you overdo it it can. I lift weights.

This part you need to discuss with BOTH you
Primary Doctor and your Neurologist or Epileptologist.

Some medication(s) can cause problems.

I also am a cyclist and I do Racing (my
bicycle is a pro-racing ~ same as Lance
Armstrong's - Trek).

At this time I am restricted on the mileage
and distance; although there is a very big
Racing Tour coming up ~ the Doctors are
still questionable in regarding to my status
and condition on racing that one (although
in the past - 20 years ago, this would had
been E-Z Street for me).

So it is strongly advised to follow up under
your Doctor's guidance and recommendations.

Supplementing with casein? Why? The body can't break it down.

You might want to read about the GARD diet for some interesting information about casein and whey (gluten).

Angel, casein is a protein found in cow's milk. It's the gluey substance that allows cheese to melt.

The reason I supplement with casein is because 1. it is already one of the multiple proteins in the protein I take (optimum nutrition) and 2. it is a slow digesting protein. My way of thinking is to drink the shake before a workout and begin digesting the whey protein which is a fast absorber and then throughout and after the workout your body begins to absorb the casein. So are people with seizure disorders supposed to stay away from milk all together?

And what I understand is that casein is the most slowly absorbed and digested type of protein.

In cow’s milk the culprit is casein, a very powerful glycoprotein, from which they make waterproof industrial adhesives. “What?” Yes, they make GLUE from casein. Who’s picture is on the bottle of a very popular brand of household glue, one that the kids could eat in elementary school if they had a craving for it (which we will also cover)? Yep, a well-known dairy company makes that glue and the cow is on the label. It is made from casein. And, it DOES stick to your (and your pet’s) gut, primarily that first stretch of the intestinal tract known as the duodenum, keeping this vital section of bowel from functioning optimally. Its adhesive properties are advertised in the form of a moustache in the ever-popular “Got glue?” ads. Stick out your tongue after drinking milk. Yuck! Is it really a stretch to think that it sticks to out intestinal tract? The thinking person is saying, “But the stomach breaks it down, doesn’t it?” The bad news is that, even with the tons of acid it produces...and the heartburn and chronic gastritis that follows...the glue still survives to reach the duodenum. (Only the fermentation process that takes place in the fore stomachs of the ruminant destroys this glue.)
http://www.dogtorj.net/id23.html

I also am a cyclist and I do Racing

woot woo. Nice legs! I cycle to work and back (and my wife compliments my legs!). I used to canoe and it provided a strong upper body. I wish I could split it; biking and canoeing to work...

I don't care if it's a road bike or a mountain bike or you're cycling across the English Channel. The spin keeps the endorphins flowing.

I was a collegiate athlete for 4 yrs. I ran track and the workouts were extremely taxing on the body. I vomited from many of the workouts but I don't remember having seizures during the season. I think lack of sleep and emotional stress are more of what cause me to have seizures.

well, I do believe that the one having the seizures has the best instinct on what is the cause.

Back
Top Bottom