is this weird?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Twice now I have ended up in hospital within a week of seeing my neuro. It's a li'l odd to me.

Last night I ended up at thehospital again. I'd had a day of random myoclonic jerks that kept increasing in regularity and severity. Then sitting on my loungeroom I had a series of jerks that scared me, my brother, mother and husband. For nearly 2 mins I was jerking violently with every breath. I told mum that I would need her to drive me to hospital. Next thing I know, everyone around me was trying to get my 7 year old ready to spend the night with my mum. This frustrated me because I was starting to worry about myself. My jerks had reduced to one every minute or so, so I got up and helped everyone get organised. Even so it took 20 mins to get ready and out the door. I was starting to wish I'd just called an ambulance. I got up to emergency and couldn't help but be embarrassed while I waited to be taken into triage. I was seen by a nurse who had no idea what myoclonic jerks were but at least found me a bed strait away. Eventually, about an hour since the horrible jerking started I was given 10 mg of valium twice what I was given and was left to rest. After about an hour and a half sleep I woke up feeling fine and ready to go home. I waited another hour after telling the nurses I was ready to go, I signed my self out without even seeing a doctor.

I came home and chilled for a but before going to bed.

Coincidentally, I have an appt with a new gp to look into a referral to a new neuro. I think I'll ask for a script for valium so I don't have to keep wasting the hospitals time. I am getting so sick of this crap. I'm tired sore and fuzzy. I don't want to have to go anywhere today. I don't want to do this anymore.

It could just be coincidence. Or it could be some kind of unconscious release after being "tense" in anticipation of seeing the neurologist.

Your neurologist should be able to write you a prescription for valium or ativan to use on an as-needed basis. Mine gave me one to use in case I had a seizure while traveling out of reach of a hospital.

Well, I just went and saw my new gp. I think I've made an awesome decision. I have an appointment with a new neuro in 2 hours. I'm quite impressed.

I am happy to hear that you like your new gp! It is hard to find one you like and who treats you like a person. Let us know what the neuro has to say :)

yes, hope the new neuro is great!

For me it's been a waste of time going to the ER because by the time I see a doc I'm already done with my seizure. All they did was inject me with an antiseizure med. Hopefully your new neuro can find you a medicine that best controls your seizures. Best wishes to you.

Thanks guys.
The new neuro is great. He's added keppra and lowered my lamictal, yet had no intention of wiping out the lamictal completely. He was quite concerned by the idea of blocked veins in my brain. I'll have to send him my disc of images so he can see for himself what the last neuro saw. He's very nice person, he seemed concerned when I expected. He has suggested juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. I go back in a fortnight, on my birthday no less, and discuss my upcoming sleep deprived eeg. I've decided not to go back to the old one.

That's great, it sounds like the new neuro is much better. Make sure to keep track of what happens when you change up your meds.

Yeah, I've set up a diary app so I can keep an eye on things. Keeping a paper journal wasn't working. I am writing out my history so far so I don't have to try and remember it all. It's difficult remembering aghast happened when.

I'm looking forward to my sleep deprived eeg. I jerk like crazy when I'm tired and I get to deal with the annoyance of getting hubbys car registered on the day of the test. I'm hoping for a result, good out bad, I don't care. I just want some news that will help determine the best course of action, rather than all this guess work.

Either way, I have a good neuro now (the last one was free on medicare, I guess you get what you pay for) and I feel more hopeful than I have in weeks. Also my family has relaxed since they feel like I'm in better hands now.

Back
Top Bottom