Weird Seizure Triggers! Do you have any?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Meetz1064- Interesting thought... thanks. It is hard to be totally sure, but I believe the tripping/stumbling is a trigger. I've had 5 incidents in as many weeks.
1: stumbled going down a flight of stairs (that has no railing) when heel of foot landed on edge of upper tread instead of on the lower tread where I intended/expected it to land;
2: tripped stepping over rope 6" off ground on golf course;
3: tripped on edge of 1" thick mat outside kitchen door;
4: lost footing when stepped on wet rock in middle of small stream;
5: tripped on a root protruding from a woodland trail.

There has been no incident while walking or standing on level ground with no obstacles. Other people seem to have triggers that have been classified as "startle" and "reflex," and I sort of think maybe that's what I'm dealing with: either a startle sz when experiencing an unexpected loss (or threatened loss) of footing, or a reflexive sz in response to the same.

im assuming youre big by youre name like me, and wondering if you could have sleep apnea? anyways if this class was at the same time of the day everyday then its possible you have the same cause i do, when the body doesnt get enough oxygen while sleeping it leaves you with low blood oxygen almost like you went jogging all night long instead of getting good rest, ever wake up sweatting? well my nuerologist didnt figure anything out forme just gave me drugs.... anyways its something to think about a good sleep doctor will tell you that you could have high blood pressure and lots of other serious problems including sudden death from the slightest sleep problem if you work or go to school on a steady schedule, mine started when i was working doubles never had sezuires as a child ever.used to always be worried about triggers and foods and crap but now i know what my sezuires are from low blood oxygen and it seems to build up after a couple days when im not on any meds. and happens at the same time every time and i assumed there was all kinds of triggers for ten years.BUt i dont have head injurys, brain tumors or any other explanation for my condition do you?

Adrenaline used to be a seizure trigger, but i have learned to build up a tolerence,
would have been no good to have an adrenaline junkie with stress s a seizure trigger.
was a bit of a problem at first though .

About ten years ago I confirmed that music had become/or been a trigger for my seizures. They feel somewhat different than my other ones and I wasn't sure at first that they were seizures.

It seems as though I am quite capable of developing new reflexes in epilepsy as now within the past two years either watching or listening to previews of movies also triggers seizures.
Sometimes even looking at the pictures of movies or reading their titles for too long doesn't feel safe, like when you are in a video store or on a website for movies.
When we are driving and I am looking around at houses or the areas I sometime feel unsafe too.

I wonder if it is the speed my brain changes thoughts/or possible memories are brought to mind.

Music triggered seizures are the easiest ones for me to control: either by not exposing myself or having an alternative music on hand if the music triggers me. I love music too much to give it up. Many altered/fake voices irritate me to high heaven. I carry earplugs and an music with me.

I have played in bands over the years and up until recently I was playing in several capacities in various line ups of the same crew. I ended up as the bass player and we had one guitarist that had two triggers me- he didn't understand the meaning of the word 'stop' and the phrase-'turn it down'. As the nights would get later in rehearsals, his hearing would diminish, he would get louder till I was feeling his guitar throbbing in my head. I had to leave the room and go lay down for awhile. I had to ask my Dr. if certain people can be triggers. I told him about the experience and I feel that it is possible it is the musicogenic seizures. I had nothing personal against the guy, but as I got older, I started to wonder if this condition has robbed me of the one thing I loved . What's weird is I can listen to it all day long, but go to playing it for anytime and the vibrations from the strings or something after a time period, get you to feeling kind of strange. When this happened, I was like 'No, don't rob me of this!'
The band fell apart and I finally resolved myself to the fact that maybe it was time to hang it up- the epilepsy wins, sigh. Sorry for the long post, but I can relate to this in a big way.

The smell and sight of fumes from the exhaust of a car often trigger a s for me. Also (if I am having a bad day), the sound of running water, so if I am in the shower, for example.
When I returned from a long-distance flight, especially if I travel across time zones, I always feel anxious and something wiill trigger a s.
Anybody else?

My office Is a Seizure trigger for me, so is my computer and my job and like every single thing which revoloves around rooms and unatural lights., none of the drugs really helped, Keppra used to help but my brain used and overide mode and actually learned to pass the mechanism of keppra.

It's funny I have JME and while I'm safe in the morning while waking up etc and also able to handle flashes more or less since im photosensetive also, I can't handle that trigger.(while on keppra or topamax, without any of them I can't handle any trigger face to face)

The trigger is really frustrating and wierd. When I look at something for some duration or look from point A to point B something happens and I feel like im being pulled into that direction which give's me fear, that's the aura, now although I usually able to stop sometimes I might have a myoclonic jerk, the stupid thing is that before I was on meds I felt it twice during the day or so and only infront of my computer, after the keppra Its can happen many times a day and in specific spots all over the place.btw If I read something and Imagine what I read about that suddenly focuse my attention back on the reading part the exact thing can happen.

Anyone else here happens to have something like that, I can understand reflex seizures but eye focus which causes a seizure that's something new.

In addition, keppra causes me to be extra sensetive (like when I wake up) to my triggers 10-40 minutes after I take the pill, only after an hour or so I become more or less stable and safe so to speak. Topamax seems to do something similar but less harsh, but it also much less effective than keppra so I guess it adds up.

O how could I forget, my "sweet" bathroom sink. I used to hit my head into the hose every while and then while I washed my face during eye closure (also seizure trigger), If I'll close my eyes in the room nothing, but as soon as I'll go to the sink and start washing my face I would at least feel fear which is my aura and maybe will have a slight movenment of the limb.a Psychological trigger I guess.

To summerize my wierd triggers it would be.

*Eye closure especially in the morning or during flashing lights.
*Eye closure while I wash my face in the morning in my sink or any sink even at a friends house, same result.
*Eye focusing on things and inducing fear which can bring a seizure.
*Short time after keppra consumption I become extra sensetive to my triggers and in turn can get seizures in times when I normally would not have them.
*Imagining something while reading some kind of story or news and refocusing back on the sentence I was reading, it causes the same result as mentioned before.

In recent years a loss of footing sets off what I suspect is a petit mal seizure. My brain goes haywire, and I am disabled from preventing a fall to the ground. After the fall, brain function returns to normal, and I can get on my feet. But when the trigger occurs, I cannot extend an arm or leg to prevent the fall, or lessen its effects. The whole incident--from trigger through fall to recovery--lasts a few seconds.

I am 72 years old now, and had grand mal seizures from age 15 to 35. I have been on dilantin for 57 years.

I have your symptoms, but I have Drop Attacks. Otherwise, known as Atonic Seizures. The only difference is I am conscious and am aware that I am falling, but I can't stop myself or do anything except by putting my hands up as to protect my face. So usually, my knees are injured.

My trigger (as well as for a lot of other ppl on this board) is the lighting at WALMART or any other "big box stores".
Fortunately, I only go in once in a while to pick up my son's meds.
But when I do go in, My ears start to ring, my headache starts and I get light headed.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom