well this is embarrassing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
lately i have been having issues with well, how do i say this without sounding bad? bedwetting. it was a constant thing when i was little, and a very occasional (like once or twice a year) thing since i was 7, but now it's happening more and more often, and bad. the doctors have no idea whether it's a side effect of my meds (lamictal, zoloft, and adderall xr) or if i'm having seizures in my sleep, or even if it's just a stress related thing. thankfully my friend who will be sleeping over understands (she was a bedwetter until age 10, and said as long as i don't pee all over her it's cool :roflmao: )

but i don't know why this is happening, i mean, for gods sake, i'm 16!

Hey, Crazychick. There's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's happening at home, right? Not at school? So you are going to be fine.

Could be the epilepsy, could be the meds. It's not a bladder infection? The doctor checked, right? Do you know if you have seizures at night?

There is a product out there that looks kinda like underwear, but it's really a paper product. It'll catch everything and the accident will never make it to your sheets. Then if your friend sleeps over and you wet the bed she'll never know what happened. Very handy if sleeping over at someone else's house. You just wear them under your pajamas.

In the meantime, don't worry. Your doctors will eventually figure it out. And it sounds like you have really good friends and family to help you through.

Hey Crazychick,

Urinary incontinence can be a side effect of Lamictal. It's not super common, but it's worth mentioning to your docs. There are other potential causes, so I hope your doctors will do a through review and come up with some answers. It's worth it to keep bugging them.

Hey, Crazychick. There's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's happening at home, right? Not at school? So you are going to be fine.

Could be the epilepsy, could be the meds. It's not a bladder infection? The doctor checked, right? Do you know if you have seizures at night?

There is a product out there that looks kinda like underwear, but it's really a paper product. It'll catch everything and the accident will never make it to your sheets. Then if your friend sleeps over and you wet the bed she'll never know what happened. Very handy if sleeping over at someone else's house. You just wear them under your pajamas.

In the meantime, don't worry. Your doctors will eventually figure it out. And it sounds like you have really good friends and family to help you through.

i don't know iif i have them at night, i think i've been seizure free in the day (no idea if i'm having staring spells) and i tried that. 1. it's so obvious you have on a diaper 2. they leak. i even thought about the sleep short ones, don't buy those! discreet and cloth like my :soap:. it was a big, bulky plastic diaper attached to the inside of "shorts" made out of stuff like the cheapo paper gowns you get at the doctors. my friend understands, the mattresses will be protected within the next couple days, and it'll be alright i guess.

my grandmother experiences seizures in her sleep, is it possible that it's genetic?

Hey Crazychick,

Urinary incontinence can be a side effect of Lamictal. It's not super common, but it's worth mentioning to your docs. There are other potential causes, so I hope your doctors will do a through review and come up with some answers. It's worth it to keep bugging them.

yes, i told my doctor last week, he upped the seizure meds a little to see if it helped, but it hasn't so far

There definitely can be a genetic link with epilepsy. Maybe you can ask your grandmother if she remembers anyone else in the family having seizures too.

There definitely can be a genetic link with epilepsy. Maybe you can ask your grandmother if she remembers anyone else in the family having seizures too.

Or incontinence (if it's not too embarassed) since there might be a connection.

Recently during eeg,first question was if there is any loss of control during
seizure or during sleep.Keep investigating and try to pay special attention to your daily activity as well as your activity at night.so you can go to the doc armed with information.-nothing to be embarrased about.Has happened to me
during extreme nocturnal activity.

My one son (does not have E) tended to have "accidents" when he ate sweet things too close to bed time. If we avoided sugar in the evening it was not an issue.

Or incontinence (if it's not too embarassed) since there might be a connection.

my mom has problems with bladder leaks, but they happened after she was pregnant twice, once ending in an emergency C section (me) and one with twins. and she's 200 pounds overweight on top of that. i kind of assumed it was from that, as she even said the problem didn't start until she had kids.

Back
Top Bottom