At What Age?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epilal

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just curious at what age you or your loved ones started having seizures? I didn't have seizures until I was in my mid-50s. I find myself reading a lot about children or young adults with seizures but not very often about people my age with seizures. Any comments welcome.

epilal (Dave)

I woke my family by having a grand mal seizure on the top bunk when I was 13. 16 years and still going.

I was 11 when I had my first seizure. I am 22 now and still have them occasionally.
Yes, I think it is rare to start having seizures later in life. Do you know what triggered it for you?

I was 35 when I had my first seizure.

I was 9 months old when I had my 1st seizure, I took seizures until I was about 3. I started taking seizures again when i was 24, I am now 33.

I had my first at 43. After the first one I started having plenty of them, regardless of which AED I took. The doctors subsequently discovered a cavernous malformation in my left temporal lobe which was causing the seizures. Apparently, its common for seizures to start later in life with this particular type of angioma. I had surgery in June 2010 to remove the malformation, and haven't had a seizure since then. I'm very grateful for that. I was happy to go a few days without one before. I'm also grateful I started having them later in life. There are plenty of people who developed epilepsy as children who have them the rest of their life. I only had them for 6 years, assuming my recovery is permanent.

Incidentally, have the docs determined any specific cause for your seizures?

46, tle

ETA: I think this would be an interesting survey: both age and type of epilepsy (combination).

Last edited:
I was 47 when my seizures started. Seizures can start at any age

my son started at 10

my uncle started at 2

my mom had one seizure in her 40s but does not have E (may have been an issue with medication)

my friend's sister had one seizure in her 40s but does not have E (may have been an issue with lack of sleep)

My first TC hit when I was 46, then I had tons of simple partials for 4 years and then nothing until last February when I had my second TC.

Happy Anniversary to me!
:paperbag:

I was 22 when someone first witnessed me having a seizure, and was only 6 months,later after another when I actually got diagnosed, whereupon I discovered that they had actually been happening for years. Mine comes from my right and left temporal lobes.

I started having seizures when I was just an infant... like months old. The drs finally told my parents when I was 18 months that I had epilepsy. Ive had them ever since.... I will be 30 in May. I have left temporal lobe Epilepsy, and have complex partial seizures.

Since birth, but it wasn't officially diagnosed until she was 3 or 4 since they were partials.

My first seizures were at 11 months old due to meningitis. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 14 but I have had them for as long as I can remember, just never knew what it was.

My first that I am sure of was at 20. May have had some form of seizures already in my teens??

Now 49, How old are you now Dave?

I was dx at 46 with simple and complex partial seizures, however, I think I have had them for most of my life.

My first seizure, as far as I can remember, was when I was between the ages of 17-18. I was diagnosed with simple and complex partials during middle age.

Does that qualify as one of those "Long time listener, first time caller" things?

I was 30 years old when I had my first seizure. It was a full blown T/c out of no where.

Thanks for putting that out there. B6 cured my cousin's seizures when she was a baby.

Back
Top Bottom