At What Age?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If I gauge epilepsy's onset by my damaged teeth and when they first started to get worn down and other strange symptoms, I was about 30 or in my early 30's.

I had my first one last August whist sleeping next to my bf who then woke up to my seizure and it really, really scared him. I think its something he'll never forget, he's always worried for me now.

It was 2months before I turned 21

My first tc was at 12. Things got rough at school when people found out.. other kids were really cruel. I was a nerd to begin with and this just made it exponentially worse.

Looking back after being diagnosed though I realized I had cps and sps my whole childhood. I didn't know what they were at the time, I would just zone out or get weird feelings. When I told my parents I guess they thought I was just being a silly kid.. I don't blame them, I was kind of strange.

Hmmm, no way to actually pinpoint. First TC was sometime in my late teens. but it was most likely due to the fact I was having what appeared to be an asthma attack. But first instance of being bombarded with weird feelings etc was when I was 9.

I was 17 when I had my first and only seizure. I'm still very skeptical that I have full-blown epilepsy like my neurologist thinks I have and require 1,250mg of Keppra each day.

Epilepsy is diagnosed with 2 or more seizures. a 1 off seizure is not enough to say you have E. I would ask him why they think you have it. how long have you been on meds?

I tried to ask my neurologist why he thinks I have epilepsy but his response has always been, "because the EEG came back with abnormal brain-activity." I've been on these meds for about a year and a half now. (I'm almost 19.) The reason why I'm very skeptical in the first place is because when I had my seizure, it was during a day where I woke up for the first time in 3 months at 5:30am because school was about to start and I wanted to get back into the habit of waking up that early. At the time I also had to walk to school as I didn't have my license and my parents normally left for work before I even got up. So when I made it to my school, I went across the street to the grocery store and I bought an energy drink like I have done hundreds of times before only this time I was dehydrated and felt exhausted so I drank the energy drink faster than I probably should have. Sure enough, I went home feeling terrible and 2 hours later, I had a seizure and found myself waking up in the back of an ambulance.

The doctor not once ever showed me the test results, explained to me his reasonings for believing I'm epileptic, or anything. He literally just called my parents and told them what I needed to do to prepare for me EEG and when the test was finished, he pulled my mom and I into his office for a mere 5 minutes to say that I have epilepsy and that I need to take Keppra (first dose was 1,500 but was quickly lowered to 1,000 because it was affecting my school work then raised to 1,250 after I graduated.) And then we were ushered out with many more questions than answers.

I would start looking for another neuro. simply for a second opinion and to ask to wean off the drugs. I would make the point that there has been no episodes since being on the drug and only ever had one seizure. EEGs can have false negatives (especially if you were playing with a cell phone or laptop at the time or even had it on in your pocket and it was receiving messages) and that you dont have any other proof that you have Epilepsy.

Your seizure could have very well been from extreme exhaustion which is totally normal reaction for some people.

My brother began having seizures just before turning 10 years old, after falling from a high diving board. He fell all in the pool except his chin, and the force of his chin hitting the pool-side broke several teeth and he required stitches. Within several weeks he began having seizures. At 16 years old, he underwent a form of brain surgery where they hoped by removing a bit of effected brain tissue he would be cured. They tried this twice that summer, but were unsuccessful. He is now 48 years old, and as long as he is medicated his grand mal seizures are controlled. He does have petite mals randomly.

I started having SP's 30 years ago, but at the time didn't realize that is what they were. Over about 6-9 months time period, they progressed to CP's and then to TC's. Before my 1st TC seizure, tho, I had been to a dr. knowing something was wrong and without doing any testing, he said I was hypoglycemic and prescribed some medication. Several months later I had the "BIG" seizure while on my way out of the shower and fell on the hot water, suffering 2nd & 3rd degree burns on my back and arm. I was 23 years old at the time.

I've tried numerous meds, had a LTL, was seizure free for 14 months, and have had the VNS surgery, with the battery replaced already, to help control the seizures. I still have an occasional seizure, but not like they used to be, 4-5 a day.

My child began having seizures at 4 1/2. He has had 3 petit mal and 2 tonic clonic that lasted 3 minutes each time within the last 45 days. So far, one EEG showed activity that started in his central brain and travels to the temporal lobe on both the left and the right side of the brain. All "simple" explanations (i.e. fever, infection, etc) have so far been ruled out. The only test we have left right now is an MRI that is scheduled for next week. It's still far too soon in his journey to have much more information.

I will turn 35 in 11 days, started having simple partial and complex partial seizures 6 weeks ago. (I'm very new to all of this) They just came out of the blue.
Still waiting for my first neuro appointment

My son and daughter both started at 15. Both JME. Now 18 and 21.

joan*

Back
Top Bottom