What is the aim of a 2 week inpatient video EEG?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
I've been on the waiting list for over 8 months now, and I asked the E nurse if any seizures I might have during the test would "reset" my 12 month seizure free driving requirement. I expected her to say no, because forced sleep deprivation and sudden medication removal aren't likely to ever happen in "real life". Worryingly, she had to check with the technician and hasn't got back to me.

It got me thinking. What is the aim of these tests? I have positive childhood EEG readings in my left temporal lobe, and my e was described as idiopathic, which from memory means it has no known focal point. I am certainly not a willing candidate for surgery and my medication is working well. Maybe 20 years of advancement in EEG's might show a focal point this time, but I'm reluctant to have to wait even longer to drive again if I won't actually get anything out of it. It's been confirmed I have epilepsy, then questioned again. Will this give me a definitive diagnosis? It better be worth the disruption to my uni/work and my mum's life when she has to sit with me as much as possible!!

Thanks

Wobblez, I agree! My neuro scheduled me to have a 5 day hosp stay, video eeg this past November, to see if I was a candidate for surgery. At first I was all for it, but the more I thought about it, I changed my mind because: I'm already diagnosed as TLE, and have been for 40+ years, I'm on medication. I knew that I did not want surgery, so I after explaining this to my neuro I cancelled it. I didn't like the idea of inducing a seizure, even if they are monitoring me. My seizures are too painful. Makes you think of a lab rat. I can see where it's important for some people, but at some point you just have to say, yeah I have E & I'm going to find the best way for me to deal with it.
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I haven't meant to.

I agree with the others, there doesn't seem to be a real need for the vEEG, and you could give it a miss and save yourself the hassle.

Hhhhmmm..My epilepsy is minor and well controlled so my Doc must be keen to confirm my diagnosis. I only have to be about 4 hours late on my medication and I feel auras coming on so it would be worthwhile if I can "perform" and get in and out within a few days.

Back
Top Bottom