What brand or kind of Coconut Oil is best?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm considering trying coconut oil for my seizures and getting other benefits out of it also. I realize it may not help but I figure at my age, if I get other benefits out of it, that will be a plus. I have been reading these forums and doing searches and I am wondering, what kind or brand should I purchase?

I don't use it for seizure control, so I'm also curious in what others will recommend.

I do use it for cooking. It's the MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides) in coconut oil that are supposed to be good for brain health. All varieties contain MCTs so it's unlikely you'd find a huge difference -- in that aspect -- from one brand to another. However, you should should stick with brands labeled "unrefined" or "virgin". (The "refined" coconut oils can be partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated, which means they contain unhealthy trans fats.)

If you're going to give it a shot, start in tiny doses and increase slowly. Too much coconut oil will cause diarrhea and gas.

Hi KathyJJ,

Nakamova gave you the correct info. I have used Farmington and just the store brand coconut oil that's organic and unrefined. I just put some on my legs and feet once a day
and it works great for me building up ketones in the body. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi KathyJJ,

Another thing I use every now and then is coconut shampoo. I don't know if it helps but I figure it doesn't hurt. Wishing you well and God Bless You!

Sue

I use virgin coconut oil but looks like lard I try take spoon couple times a week it taste like nothing on earth I have hold my stomach down to keep it down and this reminded me to go have some yuk

Turmeric mixed with it best and taste a who.e lot worse but good for brain

Back
Top Bottom