What is the chemical in Grapefruit keeps AED's from working?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Unlike other fruits, grapefruit contains a large amount of naringin, a chemical that helps many drugs be absorbed more easily. But not all AEDs are affected by it.

The AEDs that ARE affected are Trileptal, Tegretol, and Zonegran. I think that's it, but you can always check with your neurologist or pharmacist to make sure.

I have never had any problems with grapefruit & AEDs, in spite of what I read. Like Brain, I'm an avid grapefruit lover and I eat them the same way I eat an orange. The only factor for me is cost & availability R/T the citris crop in Florida.

I just saw your post, Nakamova. Thanks for the information! :clap:

Last edited:
i stay away from it because of the anti epileptic drugs and also because i have no gallbladder. a word of warning for those of you who also dont have one. dont eat grapefruit!!! i tried once just to see wut would happen, immediately. it felt like my esophagus was on fire LOL. i had phantom gallbladder pains for 2 days. i think i was too busy in pain from that to notice any sort of abnormal seizure activity tho.

I am so happy about this. I love Grapefruit and have avoided it for years just because of the potential of it effecting my seizure meds. So it looks like lamotrigine is safe!

Just a side note on this, grapefruit also affects birth control pills but any medication which is affected by grapefruit juice should have it printed on the label. Extended release medications are often affected by the acidity in grapefruit because it eats away at the coating which makes it extended release, other medications, usually central nervous system suppressants such as AEDs, anti-depressants etc are affected by how the liver processes CYP3A4.

What about those external massages/rubs where they may use grapefruit extract? I suppose that could affect somebody wearing a skin patch. But, if it's not in the digestive track, does it matter?

It's only if it's being digested.

I have seen this in a nutrition class; it is
furanocoumarin derivatives interfere with the hepatic and intestinal enzyme cytochrome P450 isoform CYP3A4 and are believed to be primarily responsible for the effects of grapefruit on the enzyme. Bioactive compounds in grapefruit juice may also interfere with P-glycoprotein
It effects the enzymes in the gut that break down the stuff already.
Don't forget that some meds are greatly INCREASED by the grapefruit and can come to a toxic level. Sometimes. Goes both ways. But my friend on keppra that is not on here said she eats grape fruit all the time and has no effects, so it may be an individual basis.

Back
Top Bottom