What to do with no longer needed AEDs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

scotd

New
Reaction score
excuse me for not using this properly, I have tried to find out how to post for the last 15 min. I live in the east bay area in contra costa county in california, I am posting this because my wife is taking lamictol for seizures and some time ago was on keppra which did not work. There was a short time we had to pay for the meds( if any one has you know how expensive it is), Any way she no longer takes keppra and it seems like such a waste to discard and we wanted to give it to someone locally who takes this exact drug, its 500mg tablets and there are approx 60 left and they are due to expire on 11-08. I just want to pass it on to someone who legetamitely needs it, thanks, and good luck to all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
excuse me for not using this properly, I have tried to find out how to post for the last 15 min. I live in the east bay area in contra costa county in california, I am posting this because my wife is taking lamictol for seizures and some time ago was on keppra which did not work. There was a short time we had to pay for the meds( if any one has you know how expensive it is), Any way she no longer takes keppra and it seems like such a waste to discard and we wanted to give it to someone locally who takes this exact drug, its 500mg tablets and there are approx 60 left and they are due to expire on 11-08. I just want to pass it on to someone who legetamitely needs it, thanks, and good luck to all of you.

It is against the Federal Law to pass medication to anyone,
and plus if you need to get rid of it, just hand it to the Hospital
or your Doctor and they will dispose of it properly.

You can phone your Doctor's office as what to do with them,
some even recommends flushing them down the toilet, but
just never ever throw them into the garbage can, because
there are people out there that are "dumpster divers" (who
raids garbage cans and dumpsters) and getting into those
medications in the trash can / dumpsters can be a deadly
and dangerous thing!

You CAN phone your local County Health Department
in regards to how to dispose of unused prescriptions
in accordance to your State, County, City, Providence,
County's Guidelines & Regulations.

Last edited:
Keppra is a prescription drug (controlled substance). If you send it in the mail to someone, you might also get in trouble with the USPS.

Canada has the same rules of prescriptions not being allowed to be given to others but pharmacists also incinerate them so that they don't pollute water or dumping grounds. Check & see if pharmacists there do the same

Last edited:
For the State of Missouri

Prescription Drug Repository for Missouri

Prescription Drug Repository For Missouri

Who can donate drugs to the program?
Any person, prescription drug manufacturer or distributor, pharmacy, health care provider or health care facility may donate their own drugs. See 19 CSR 20-50.020(1).

Can a long-term-care facility donate the unused drugs of a resident?

A long-term-care facility may not donate patient medications unless authorized to do so. See 19 CSR 20-50.020(4) and Prescription Drug Repository Ownership Record.

What medicines can (and cannot) be donated to the program?

Controlled substances such as narcotics and many medications to treat nervousness and insomnia may not be donated. Drugs that are sensitive to light or heat may be not be donated. Other drugs may be donated if they are packaged in original sealed and tamper-evident packaging such as blister-cards and have an expiration date that will not be reached for at least six months. See 19 CSR 20-50.025.

A member of my family recently passed away. Can I donate his/her left over medications to the program?
It depends. You may donate the medications if:
1. Your family member was a resident of a long-term-care facility.
2. You can demonstrate ownership of the medications. You will be required to sign a form certifying that you are the owner and that the drugs to be donated were not in the patient's possession.
3. The medications were dispensed in original sealed and tamper-evident unit dose packaging.
See 19 CSR 20-50.020.

What should I do with my (my family member's) unused medicines, if I cannot donate them?

You should destroy them beyond reclamation - destroy them so that no one can inadvertently take them and be harmed. The following are suggested ways to do this:
* To destroy liquid medications: Open the container and pour the medication over/into an absorbent material such as kitty litter or paper products and dispose of in the regular trash just prior to pick-up.
* To destroy tablets and capsules: Pour a small amount of cleaning fluid, such as liquid detergent, ammonia or bleach in the bottles with the medication and then dispose of in the regular trash just prior to pick-up.
* Remove the patient name from any medicine containers. Place all containers in a sealed outer bag or box with no label.

I am the administrator of a long-term-care facility. One of our residents passed away. How do I go about donating the resident's left over medications to the program?
Unless you are also the executor of the resident's estate or have been authorized to donate the medications by the resident, you do not own the medications. Only the owner of unused medications may donate them. See 19 CSR 20-50.020(4).

How do I find a repository site where I may donate drugs?
There is a listing of the participating repository sites of which DHSS is aware on this website, although this listing may not be all-inclusive.

What types of facilities/businesses can accept donated drugs?
Pharmacies, hospitals and nonprofit clinics may choose to participate in the Prescription Drug Repository Program, but participation in the program is not required.
See 19 CSR 20-50.010.

How do I find a repository site from which I may obtain donated drugs?
The website has a listing of repository sites of which DHSS is aware, although the listing may not be all-inclusive.

How do I find out where the medicine I need has been donated?

There is no central database to track donated drugs. You will need to contact repository sites until you find the medication that you need.

What are the eligibility requirements to receive donated drugs?

To be eligible:
* You must live in Missouri;
* Have an income of less than three hundred percent (300%) of the federal poverty level; and
* Have no other insurance coverage for drugs.
See 19 CSR 20-50.015.

Do I still need a prescription to get my medicine, even if it is donated?
Yes. You will need a valid prescription to obtain donated drugs.

What are the requirements to participate as a repository?

Any pharmacy, a hospital or a nonprofit clinic may choose to be a repository site.
1. Any participating pharmacy shall be licensed as a pharmacy by the Missouri State Board of Pharmacy;
2. Any participating hospital shall be licensed as a hospital by the Department of Health and Senior Services; and
3. Any participating nonprofit clinic shall be und the supervision of a physician licensed by the Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts.
See 19 CSR 20-50.010.

How much will I have to pay for a prescription filled with donated drugs?
A repository site may charge a handling fee. The handling fee may be no more than $8.18, which is 200% of the standard Medicaid professional dispensing fee for each prescription. See 19 CSR 20-50.035(7).

Can my pharmacy get drugs from other pharmacies for me?
Your pharmacy can get drugs from another pharmacy for you if both pharmacies are repository sites and from another, non-pharmacy repository site if the other repository site is licensed with the Missouri Board of Pharmacy as a drug distributor.

How do I prove that I am eligible to receive drugs?
You must provide proof of your income to a repository site. The repository site will issue an identification card to you if you qualify for the program.
See 19 CSR 20-50.015.

Can nursing homes use a deceased resident's unused drugs for other residents?
No.

Repository Sites
Prescription Drug Repository

Medical Missions for Christ Community Health Center
1193 Highway KK, Suite B
P.O. Box 1327
Osage Beach, Missouri 65065
Telephone: 573-348-9444

Last edited:
I think I can only refill my keppra 2 days prior till I run out. Which I think is insane - what if the weather's bad or I'm sick? Especially as the pharmacy isn't open every day But that just shows how strictly they contoll it

From Smart Rx Disposal.net

A few small steps can make an important difference in safeguarding lives and protecting the environment.

Follow your medication prescriber’s instructions and use all medications as instructed. If you do not use all of your prescribed or over-the-counter medication, you can take a few small steps to make a huge impact in safeguarding lives and protecting the environment by disposing of unused medicines properly:

1. DO NOT FLUSH unused medications and DO NOT POUR them down a sink or drain Click to go to note.. (SEE BELOW QUOTE)
2. Be Proactive and Dispose of Unused Medication In Household Trash. When discarding unused medications, ensure you protect children and pets from potentially negative effects:
* Pour medication into a sealable plastic bag. If medication is a solid (pill, liquid capsule, etc.), crush it or add water to dissolve it.
* Add kitty litter, sawdust, coffee grounds (or any material that mixes with the medication and makes it less appealing for pets and children to eat) to the plastic bag.
* Seal the plastic bag and put it in the trash.
* Remove and destroy ALL identifying personal information (prescription label) from all medication containers before recycling them or throwing them away.

3. Check for Approved State and Local Collection Programs. Another option is to check for approved state and local collection alternatives such as community based household hazardous waste collection programs. In certain states, you may be able to take your unused medications to your community pharmacy or other location for disposal.
4. Consult your pharmacist with any questions.

Note: The FDA advises that the following drugs be flushed down the
toilet instead of thrown in the trash:

Actiq(fentanyl citrate)
Daytrana Transdermal Patch (methylphenidate)
Duragesic Transdermal System (fentanyl)
OxyContin Tablets (oxycodone)
Avinza Capsules (morphine sulfate)
Baraclude Tablets (entecavir)
Reyataz Capsules (atazanavir sulfate)
Tequin Tablets (gatifloxacin)
Zerit for Oral Solution (stavudine)
Meperidine HCl Tablets
Percocet (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen)
Xyrem (Sodium Oxybate)
Fentora (fentanyl buccal tablet)

Additional Note: Patients should always refer to printed material accompanying their medication for specific instructions.

Last edited:
They suggest a patch be flushed down the toilet?

That could cause some major plumbing problems

I don't think they meant for it to be
all flushed all at once! Those patches
aren't very big, there's been worse
things flushed down the toilet and
then of course there's been worse
things that's come out of the toilets,
like a Python!

:eek:

wow

I just learned something new---I didn't know you shouldn't flush them down the toilet.....although now that I THINK about it, it does make sense.......

The only things that have gone down the toilet here other than the umm "stuff" , is a pair of goldfish who passed away a few months back. RIP , my faithful friends , Alzheimer and Ketamine. I don't think pills can cause blockage if goldfish can't. Come to think of it , the keppra down the toilet might knock out the alligators in the sewers ....

a couple of years ago, when we lived in Louisiana, we discontinued of one Lindsay's seizure meds. I think we had 2-3wks left on the bottle. Anyway her neurologist asked me to donate the meds back to her. She said, "Ya know, lots of people can't afford these medications and it shouldn't just be thrown out when others can use it." She then saw to it that it was distributed according to La. law. This particular doctor group was probably the largest in Baton Rouge. They had my kids' peds, neuro plus tons of other specialties. At every office they also had little pharmacy bottles that you could put money in so they could get meds to those who couldn't afford it.:clap:

Medications are so expensive. I think it's great that people can donate their unused medications. So many folks out there can't afford meds and suffer needlessly because of it.

I looked on the link above and saw that NY also has laws that allow for redistribution of meds. If we are in that situation again, I would gladly donate.

Scotd--perhaps check with your pharmacy or prescribing doc and see if you have that option.

I had just filled a 90-day RX for Valproic Acid and was taken off it before I finished the remainder of the previous one. I had not opened the bottle, but because it was in the brown bottle from the pharmacy, the pharmacy would not take it back. Had it been from the manufacturer with the unbroken factory seal, they would have. I was able to donate to my doctor, though.

Back
Top Bottom