What Happends To A Persons Eyes Who Is Having A Tonic Clonic Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
What happend to a persons eyes when they are having a generalized tonic clonic seizure?

They roll back. Sometimes only the whites are visible, or they will roll back and close. The eyelids may flutter a bit as well. It happens during the clonic phase when the muscles start to contract and relax which is causing the T-C. This is also when your jaw forces shut and you bite your tongue.
I've never seen it but can imagine it's not very pretty for those around you.
My last T-C my bf said my head jerked straight back, my eyes rolled up and he could see the whites. Uggghhh, poor guy.

Actually. it varys for everyone.

With me, my eyes are wide open, looking straight ahead (or if they move they look to the left) and I blink during the clonic phase really fast, as my face muscles twitch.

My pupils also contract and dilate with the clonic phase.

My daughters tonic clonic seizures are very gentle. Her eyes are open with a blank stare. She has a soft convulsion. Only twice has she bit her tongue, and never has lost bladder control. Her muscles ache afterwards from her tensing up, and she typically has a headache.

My brother says that my eyes tend to roll back to show just the whites off my eyes,then once i stop convulsing they close until i come round again.Its actually something id never really thought about,good question J Logefeil.

During the onset of a tonic-clonic seizure, most folks have their eyes open, with rhythmic eye blinking and rolling. Afterwards (post-ictal) the eyes tend to be closed until you start to emerge from consciousness.

I've only had one t/c but I was conscious for part of it, I could feel my eyes trying to roll back and kinda shake, I swear they felt like they were moving from left to right and back at a speed I can't reproduce manually, I was alone so I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom