what have been your general experiences during post-ictal states?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
what have you experienced when people had interacted with you directly after a seizure episode or during/between a span of seizure clusters?

do you recall anything?
what is the longest time span you recall?
is there any clarity if people interact with you?
are you able to clearly recall interacting with people?

I had a series of cluster seizures back in December and recall a lot of interaction at the ER with doctors and staff - I recall some specific events but not for any span of recollection
the events are choppy - no recollection longer than 20 seconds or so between periods of black - but the time periods themselves have no real timeline reference
only as a bunch of things that happened, but not sure as to when they happened
the events for me were very "bubbly" visually distorted, like a wide-angle lens close-up... like a convex lens

It's always blurry for me, I am kind of out of it... I get really weepy and start apologizing for everything I don't need to be, lol. Kind of like way too much empathy or oxytocin, or something. I guess t is after a seizure that I seriously appreciate how valuable life is. My husband always says it takes me a day to recover.
I typically forget falling into the grand mal (although sometimes I remember) but am usually told I warned it was coming.
I used to lose the ability to talk after a seizure for about 20 minutes. That doesn't really happen anymore. The recovery gets easier with age. There are certain people I remember and others I don't...I think it has to do with how long I have known them. I guess I regress back to a baby, kind of, like being introduced to the world again for the first time.

I have been known to swear at people and be really rather rude. Also, when asked what day it is, apparently 9 times out of ten i say it's tuesday. No idea why :dontknow:

I sort of remember little bits when i'm coming round, people talking to me, but i don't really take it in. I don't remember being nasty to people but i feel guilty when i'm told afterwards.

When I regain conscious after a toni-clonic, it's really only partial consciousness. the brain cells are waking up one by one it seems. I might get up and walk around but not have any memory of where or why. I'll have conversations that I don't remember (other people have to clue me in). If there are enough mysteries (bruises, broken things), eventually I put two and two together and realize I've had a seizure.

Normally it takes me about a day or 2 to get back to normal. I have had conversations with people about 3-4 hours after a seizure but aparently they dont make sense, its just me stringing words together hehe!:dontknow:

When I have a TC the paramedics normally give me Diazepam to stop it so that is a major issue with remembering things. My latest seizure when I ended up in A&E I can only remember, over the course of 2 days, eating jammy toast. Although aparently I got up and had a conversation with another patient?!:loco:

awesome replies
they make me feel better as one still trying to understand my seizures
being a hermit in general (maybe from undiagnosed epilepsy issues when younger) and having been diagnosed three years ago, I'm still trying to cope with what seizures mean (and identify them), and especially try to understand what is happening during the post-ictal periods

do <bump>s work on these boards?

do <bump>s work on these boards?

Yup, you just type : bump : (but without the spaces between the colons and the word)

well ya - I just wondered if they were typical/acceptable/annoying/disallowed or what
but my question is answered and acknowledged - thanks!

mostly aphasia as everything warms back up, I tend to not know how long I have been out, I am just aware things are different.
If ambulances and firetrucks are there, at least 7-10 minutes. Is my bag and bike near by. do I have wallet and cell. sweep my front. teeth. There is kinda a pattern at this point.
and my brain doesnt all warm back up at once. so apparently I can respond to people, but it is not the conscious part, or not my personality. Or I can just come back and stare. People tend not to understand that lucidity and sanity dont come back all at once.

When I regain conscious after a toni-clonic, it's really only partial consciousness. the brain cells are waking up one by one it seems. I might get up and walk around but not have any memory of where or why. I'll have conversations that I don't remember (other people have to clue me in). If there are enough mysteries (bruises, broken things), eventually I put two and two together and realize I've had a seizure.

I get the same deal. There's been so many things I've done and don't remember, like 3 days ago for example, I woke up with no pants on, they were at the foot of my bed. I have no memory of taking them off. Lots of conversations I have to be reminded of. I often beg to see my dad, who's passed away 2 years ago. I also think the world is against me and try to hide.

>> People tend not to understand that lucidity and sanity dont come back all at once.<<

that's what scares the **** out of me

My memory is patchy, the first tonic-clonic seizure I had I can remember the paramedics voice and I have a vague recollection of swearing at her:oops: In the back of the ambulance I remember her putting the oxygen mask on my face it made me want to throw up so I kept taking it off and she kept putting it back on and the words "*Expletive* off" was all I could manage.
But, I wasn't aware my father was riding in the ambulance with me. And according to my partner the last tonic-clonic I had I ran to the bedroom door ended up feeling the wall beside the door slurring "The should be a door here somewhere" and then for some reason ran into the bathroom and nearly crashed though glass :oops: The only memory I have is of getting out of bed and my legs fell out from under me:dontknow:
It's a totally bizarre experience and it's embarrassing, I'm so glad I have the partner I do. He's stuck with me. Apparently once I stood up and started abusing him because he wouldn't turn the fan off........ It was the middle of winter and there was no fan:oops:

Back
Top Bottom