What type of seizure is this?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alice123

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to the doctors on thursday and because i've had seizures in my sleep.

For the start I think I could see patterns/a weird dream and then I was aware of my surroundings and what was happening and thought it was the room moving not me. My whole body was obviously making weird movements which were out of my control.

But I have no idea how long or whether I wasnt aware of some of it. So really it doesnt give much to go on when I tell the doctor.

alice123

Hello Alice and welcome to C.W.E. You are going to the doctors on thursday because you have nocturnal seizures, this is a wise decision. But it would be very hard to tell you what kind of seizure you are having without a little more information, it would also be a bad decision to say you are having a certain type so it would be a type of seizure you could be having. You should keep a diary, in it you write when you think it started and finished, what you think happened and this is what you need to help you and the doctor.

Ok thanks, just wondered if anyone had any ideas. I dont have a clue how long it was, just that it was a seizure. I feel really stupid, cos at the time I should have written this all down (it was a while ago).

alice123

Do not feel stupid a lot of the things are picked up from people who have gone through this already, you can only be stupid if you do nothing about it and you are trying to do something - so you are not stupid. I have a bad way of putting things sometimes. The diary is ment for your own info and the doctors as well, you keep a record of the seizures as best you can time started - time finished what you think might have happened or if there was somebody there at the time what they saw. You keep a record of other things as well like the food you eat and then you do not feel good after it or whatever and this will help you narrow triggers for your seizures as well. I give you an instant, I am just after finding out I cannot drink fizzy orange, I used to have it every sunday at dinner time and then I started feeling odd - eventually had a seizure so by process of elimination I found it was the glass of orange I had with my dinner.

I cannot be sure if I had these symptoms but I've been researching what you told me. The other week I was very tired in class (Half sleeping) and my leg made a movement. Now I think about it, it may have been out of my control.

tell the doctor about any symptom that seems weird or unusual -- even if you think it might not be relevant. It's the doctor's job to figure it out. From what you've described , the movements could be what are called "myoclonic jerks". Since you've posted about other symptoms that sound like simple partials, my guess is that the jerking is also a form of simple partial. (Simple partials can have sensory, psychic, autonomic, and motor components -- the jerking would be from that last category).

I thought I'd Update my situation here! For the past few days this week, I've felt so tired during the day, with aching arms, which is unusual and a headache behind my left eye. I sometimes here high pitched sound in my ear, but ive always thought that was tinnitus. I came back because I began to have weird symptoms again.

I tried to sleep last night and had jerking in my hands/arms and head banging. Not so much jerking in my legs,feet but more like an uncontrollable erg to stretch them and they become stiff. It felt like a signal being past down my back but most of the time I could feel pain/pulses going down my arms/legs and if its possible to stop the jerking for a second, i did. So it feels a lot more out of my control but those sorts of symptoms still felt like an panic attack because I was hypo ventilating also and I'm more in control.

Anyway Whilst I'm a sleep I seem to be touching my face and making noises, probably the occasional movement of legs but I could not see that on camera. So maybe a simple/complex partial.

The seizures (2, or 3) that I've had whilst I was aware, seemed more severe in the fact that I couldn't move at all and was convulsing very badly. They woke me up and I remember it being very confusing, I could see patterns/hallucinations for a while before I became aware of what was happening. probably more like a tonic clonic.

I know I should sort this out as quickly as possible, So I will book another doctors appointment now that I understand whats happening better.

I think everything you've been stating here is perfect for the Dr.s appointment. Plus the videos could make all the difference. I good neurologist should be able to see a seizure happening and be able to identify what is happening.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks for your comments really gives me more confidence to see a doctor soon. I was used to the jerks and flashes under my eye lids but last night I kept getting electric shocks and numbness in my finger. It hurt, I guess there myclonic jerks maybe due to stress and everything else

Must get up and do some work today! Hope everyone has a stress free day x

Back
Top Bottom