what type of seizure might this be?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
I've had observed grandmal and pretty sure I've had sleep seizures

then also last night at work I was talking with a co-worker about some epilepsy things and i started feeling a bit "out there" but was also tired so it didn't seem that significant
last night I had several very vivid and bizarre dreams and woke up a couple times abruptly
in the morning I knew my mind was "out there" and after doing just a couple things I called my dad to help get me around and to go get something to eat
on and off throughout this time I would swoon into that buzz-buzz head thing pretty intensely
when I called my dad it occurred to me I could not talk coherently, and I could tell
I could understand what he was saying, but I would try to express myself and it would come out total gibberish
I forgot my nephew's name, I would start a sentence with one or two words and then gibberish
I could tell it was gibberish or inappropriate words (not cursing like I'd guess with Turret's or whatever, but just way off) but there wasnt anything I could do about it.
I've had that coming and going "buzz buzz"-world coming and going throughout today still
I took a nap at my dad's later and have felt a bit better since.

what type of thing might this be?

also unrelated question: is there any history of psychotic seizure episodes and severe pain with Keppra use?
I'm still lost trying to figure out my December E.R. trip that was nightmarish and later told to me that it included a psychotic episode.
that episode has haunted me since that time
I need to find a good counsellor

It sounds like you are probably having partial seizures.

That's alot what most of mine are like. I get very confused about what's going on, I can't talk right, can't think of words. Sometimes I'll even black out during the seizure. They usually last around 5 minutes, sometimes shorter and sometimes longer.

Here's a post that has the types of seizure on it:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/types-seizures-7151/

I agree, probably partial seizures, most likely originating in the dominant temporal lobe (which can affect language processing).

Psychosis can be a rare Keppra side effect. Below is info from the official Keppra site:

In controlled trials of patients with epilepsy experiencing partial onset seizures, 5 (0.7%) of KEPPRA (levetiracetam) -treated patients experienced psychotic symptoms compared to 1 (0.2%) placebo patient. Two (0.3%) KEPPRA (levetiracetam) -treated patients were hospitalized and their treatment was discontinued. Both events, reported as psychosis, developed within the first week of treatment and resolved within 1 to 2 weeks following treatment discontinuation. Two other events, reported as hallucinations, occurred after 1-5 months and resolved within 2-7 days while the patients remained on treatment. In one patient experiencing psychotic depression occurring within a month, symptoms resolved within 45 days while the patient continued treatment. A total of 13.3% of KEPPRA (levetiracetam) patients experienced other behavioral symptoms (reported as aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, apathy, depersonalization, depression, emotional lability, hostility, irritability, etc.) compared to 6.2% of placebo patients. Approximately half of these patients reported these events within the first 4 weeks. A total of 1.7% of treated patients discontinued treatment due to these events, compared to 0.2% of placebo patients. The treatment dose was reduced in 0.8% of treated patients and in 0.5% of placebo patients. A total of 0.8% of treated patients had a serious behavioral event (compared to 0.2% of placebo patients) and were hospitalized.

Back
Top Bottom