What would I do if my kids accidentally took one of my meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I just found one of my keppra tablets on my kitchen floor which is definitely not a safe place for it to have been. I probably dropped it when sorting out my pillbox for the week and didn't realise (don't worry, I'll be hyper vigilant now!). I have a 20 month old who would most likely pick up something like that thinking it was a lolly. This now has me worried and wondering what I would do if I suspected or realised one of my kids had taken my Tegretol or keppra. Obviously I'd call the poisons info centre but has anyone had this happen and did/would you have induced vomiting or given milk or something? Just having a little what-if style freak out!

I live with a 4 year old little girl and her mum and I have explained to her if she ever finds my tablets, (we've shown them to her) she must give them to me or her mum. She understands that they will make her very, very sick and they make me better. Why? Because as her mum so eloquently put it "I have a sick head" lol. To her credit, little Lily did once find one of my Lamictal's and gave it to her mum THANK GOODNESS.

I would do just as you suggested, call poisons and find out. Why don't you google it now? Just make sure its a reputable source of info.

Poison Control Phone Numbers

There are a couple of poison control centers that you can call. You give your child's age and weight and the substance they ingested and the poison control center tells you what to do. I believe the call is free.

http://www.poison.org/

1-800-222-1222

There is a pet poison center, too. They charge for the call, either $35 or $45 or such. I don't exactly remember. That's still cheaper than an office call. Many drugs aren't in their online poison list. You have to call in to get help with those.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/

800-213-6680

Putting "Mr. Yuck" on each bottle can be helpful for younger kids, too.
http://www.chp.edu/CHP/mryuk

Last edited:
Call poison control first. Follow their instructions. :)

What if you use a cookie sheet when filling your pill box? May catch that random pill for you. I had the same thing happen and I have a four pound dog. I panicked at the thought of her swallowing one because of my oversight.

i had someone steal some of my pills 200mg lamictal a friend or i thought then er calls me and said he is there because this person said u gave em these for a headache.went and counted my pills missin 15 of 90 and i told them he took them from my house cause i know how dangerous they are.i told them not my fault only time i was somewhat neglegent with my meds.also told em he is on his own he wanted a ride from my wife i cant drive u know why

I would go to accident and emegency A&E in the UK - time is of the essence
:)

I'm always afraid that one of my cats is going to get one of my meds that are on the floor. There's been times I've dropped one and seen them batting it around playing with it. I didn't know what to do if one of them ate it becase you can't tell a cat "Don't eat that, let mommy know it's there".

I always do a double check after I've filled my pill case to make sure that I didn't drop any, but I've had some fall out of my hand when I take them out of the case and find them on the floor.

Thanks for the info!

I don't have children but I do have pets and my dog would eat it if she found a pill & I have dropped them before but I always have my pills in my bedroom and she's not allowed in here without me present but I'm still very careful to find them if I do drop them.

Back
Top Bottom