Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Many like you have warning signs and that makes you lucky. I have none at all. I have tried and tried to find them but to this date there is no commonality. The Xerox story is LOL and scary all at the same time.

I'm Honestly not sure when my first seizure was. there is many things since I was young that I can now pin point as a seizure. But the one I remember the most that I think now was a seizure...

I was in the park with a friend, his brother, and my little sister. His little brother took my cell phone and took off down the feild. I was 17 at the time and my first thought was " i used to run track, I can totally catch him" so I took off after him. We ran for about 5 minutes good and hard. And at some point I remember the edges going black and things pulsating around me. I stopped running and fell to my knees and sorta remember lying on my stomach.
Everyone came running over and said I was clawing at the air very slowly and kept looking around dazed.
I think I was a complex partial, probably resulting from me not breathing correctly wil running.
They helped me home and I remember loking myself In the bathroom for about 20minutes trying not to pass out again and felt so weak and sore.
Not very fun.

I'm Honestly not sure when my first seizure was. there is many things since I was young that I can now pin point as a seizure.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I think i've been having absences a long time before the grand mal i know about, and from what my neurologist described, probably night time seizures too.

I had a fall on a school trip which incurred a nasty head injury, and after that it all went downhill really.

Sleep seizures are the worst. I used to wake up and it felt like the inside of my head was spinning 1,000 miles an hour. (Everything externally was fine.) I would claw at my hair to try and make it stop. It was awful. Not something you forget...

I definately know the after effects - just not til after i've woken up. Not had the head spinning thing though - extreme tiredness and achiness, yes.

The jury's still out on whether or not i'm having nocturnals or not. Nothing proved by doc's cos i've never had any tests for night time activities :noevil:

I couldn't have had my 1rst seizure in a better place lol I was in labor with my daughter. I had pre-eclampsia and was being induced nearly a month early. At some point I had started to shiver. they brought me warm blankets and kept asking if I was cold. My doctor came in to examine me and I was shaking like a leaf by that point. She got upset with me saying I had nothing to be afraid of and to stop acting like a child. She thought it was the pain and insisted that I accept the epideral. Even after the epideral I kept shaking and was finding it harder to get my thoughts straight in my head. Finally my ex-mother in law stepped in and explained to the doctor that I had been like this for over 2 hours. It dawned on someone that I might be having a seizure. I don't remeber much for a couple of hours after that.
They thought it was just a one time thing, seizures are associated with Eclampsia. But 3 months later my husband, at the time, woke me up saying that I had nealy dropped our daughter and was thrashing on the floor the night before. It been like that ever since.

Which is

the EXACT reason they're trying to figure out HOW to put me under for surgery...because my seizures are ALL in my SLEEP!!!

i had my first seizure when i was 14 so 8 or 9 yrs ago. i just got into my french class which was after gym where i had overexerted myself playing field hockey. i remember still being cold from outside but sweating at the same time and feeling extremely dizzy. i asked to go to the nurse and when i took the hall pass from my teacher my hands were shaking like crazy. nxt thing i remember was stumbling around and putting my foot into the waste basket (which made all the students laugh) then i woke up in the doorway with my head on the teachers lap. i remember thinking (why cant i stop shaking.. this is so weird.. and trying to say "im ok" but apparently i wasnt saying anything. just having a gran mal. i had more like that throughout high school then finally my senior yr i got properly diagnosed with e

for some reason i couldnt repost this.. just writing about it made me feel ill. never want to relive the first one.. it changed my whole life

Hi my name is Nancy. I'm new here. My first seizure happened in Nov. 2001. I just happened to be packing that day because my husband and I were going to be moving into our new house that weekend. My in-laws were coming later that day to help us also. I was doing some things on the computer and started to not feel good. I decided to lay down for awhile on the couch, so I turned on the TV and fell asleep. My husband came home and I woke up, went to the bathroom and got sick. I came out and sat back down and asked him to get me some crackers to settle my stomach. He says after that I just stared into space and then fell to the floor. I had a grand mal seizure. I stopped breathing for a minute. My husband called 911. I remember waking up in the ambulance when I heard my husband say he couldn't find his insurance card. I grabbed his wallet, pulled it out and gave it to him. lol I then passed back out. Had a ton of test done and was monitored for a few months, but never had another seizure. Now this past year starting in March 2009 I was having them once a month right along with my menstrual cycle. Not much fun. Now I'm on generic Keppra. Was on the 750mg at first but had another seizure and I'm now on 1000mg. So far so good. Had a really hard time though after the first seizure back in 2001. Had a very hard time remembering things and people. It was kind of scary that I couldn't even remember my own relatives. Just want to say I'm glad I found this site. Thanks!!

That's a

bummer deal of a first seizure. Sorry about that, and that you were diagnosed with E in the first place.

I hope you're going to like it here. We have lots of fun people, and plenty of information in the different nooks and crannies, so make sure you check them out!

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

First seizures are awful and scary. I almost drowned in the shower for my first one. But you've come to the right place. A warm, caring community. Welcome!

It was 1968. I was 11 years old, went to sleep had a grand mal seizure, as they called it then, and woke up in a fetal position at hospital. I had just started my period. My parents became over protective which just added to the fact that I was the only girl with two brothers. That has been my M.O. since then, the seizure fairy likes to visit me during sleep. I have had the: not enough sleep seizure, the too much alcohol seizure, the "I don't need medication" experiment seizure, the hormonal seizure, (several of those with grim results) the dehydration seizure, the 4 hour exam seizure. :brain:

Hi to Nancee and Gigi! Welcome, haven't been here long myself but I find it helps alot.
"the seizure fairy likes to visit me during sleep" Gotta love that seizure fairy, instead of finding money under your pillow, you find drool all over it :roflmao:

I have to say my first seizure was the easiest to deal with since then I've had them in some pretty "nifty" places including on escalaters, on the swing at the park, and my all time fav at the top of a 2 story stairway(ouch)

Baths, Showers can be dangerous places.....

I don't really recall my 1st CP seizure, although I had been experiencing these strange "feelings" and was in to see a doctor who had diagnosed me as having hypoglycemia, without any testing. Six weeks later, on April 6, 1980, as I was stepping out of the shower, I felt this strange feeling overcoming me again, so I sat down on the floor, dripping wet. I must have sat down for a few minutes as that feeling had passed, so I thought I was fine, but once I stood, I started to feel that strange feeling again, and that is all I remember. The next thing I know I was in the "Flight for Life" helicopter ambulance. When I had the strange feeling again, I went into my 1st TC seizure, (I didn't know at the time) fell backwards into the bathtub. Somehow I hit just the hot water spicket. My back, right side and arm were lying under the hot water long enough to suffer 1st and 2nd degree burns. It happened to be Easter morning, and I was at my parents that weekend, fortunately. Otherwise, I may not have been found and may not be here today. I was in the hospital for 2 months because of the burns/skin grafts and EEgs,CTs etc.

Back
Top Bottom