whats the difference between myoclonic epilepsy and essential myoclonus?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Abynorml

New
Reaction score
I finally talked to my Neurologist again, Im convinced the man is an idiot. He still refuses to believe anything happened to me.

I told him I was pretty sure the 5-htp that I had tried had aggravated my myoclonus, and he argued with me over if I had myoclonus or not, I told him Ive been twitching and jerking for years now, and he finally agreed that it was possible. The thing is my last neurologist was the one who first told me what myoclonus was and had put me on klonopin at one point for it and my essential tremors till I grew tolerant to it, and then switched me to keppra. The Keppra scared me and I was afraid that it was making me more impulsive and possibly might of had kepprarage so I quit it went back on the klonopin and decided to find a new Neurologist, thats what led me to my current idiot.

Guess what the current idiot wanted to put me on.... Keppra.

Its like he never looked at my former Dr.'s offices notes or he would of at least known some of this background. I told him Id prefer to get off the topamax and stay off any new meds for awhile to try to see if it helps me at all, I think the topamax is screwing my cognitive and memory skills and causing some sexual problems. For the most part I can totally cope with my jerks as they only seem to get really bad when Ive had no sleep and have been under lots of stress. Though there was a few days last month i thought i was going nuts until I started reading about startle myoclonus, which was what seems to have been the culprit.

Anyways, Im pretty damn sure I have myoclonus, Ive had one Neurologist tell me its myoclonus, I have 1 questionable EEG and 1 clean EEG and a clean MRI. I probably have had a Tonic Clonic from the 5-htp aggravating the heck out of the myoclonus, is it essential myoclonus, is it myoclonic epilepsy, what is the difference between the two?

Also does anyone know any good neurologists in the Las Vegas area? After this last visit I dont trust my current one. He seems like the kind of guy who doesnt really listen to his patients or asks enough questions, which is to bad because I liked his office, and it didnt take 3 months to make a damn appointment.

I hope this all makes sense, Im writing at work I dont have internet at home right now and I dont have much time to write.

And Thank You all so much for helping me out this last month, I apologize if Ive gotten on any of your nerves, I kinda feel like maybe I post to many different threads. I was going to post this in one of my old threads but it doesnt seem to fit, and Im kind of asking a new question, I can be a very disorganized person.

Back
Top Bottom