what's the worst self-sustained injury youve suffered from a grandmal seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

No injuries, but just the other night having a bath whilst in on my own(I know naughty) started to have a seizure,just lucky it didn't carry on to full one or could have been very serious. Scary thing is I don't loose consciousness but can't always move if a sz starts and I was laid down, so aware of what might happen and thinking I must get out of the bath but not being able to. mmm interesting. Janet:ponder:

I second that gigi... Jake=epilepsy warrior!
Wow, inspiring when having a 'down' day and feeling scared about everything ahead. That is ALOT for one to go through... certainly a lot more than I have.

Not much in the way of injuries for me either, just swollen black tongues that wouldn't let me talk properly for a week, goose eggs on the head from hitting the floor, and bruises that you just went 'oh, okay' to because you don't remember hitting that body part on something. did get lucky though having a TC and driving into oncoming traffic and into a ditch on the other side - came out with only bumps and bruises.

And yeah Janet I can't move well if I'm having a partial either (too terrified/paralyzed), but I love my hot baths - I think all we can do is not bath when home alone? I say to hell with that though, tired of the control this always has over me.

I had a tonic/clonic alone in my bedroom in the basement and when I fell, I landed with my neck on the edge of my futon. Luckily my mom found me, but I hadn't been breathing and she had to do CPR. I was in the hospital for 3 days and I had short-term memory loss for a week (that was SUPER annoying). I don't have any scars or anything, but now my bedroom has been moved next to my parents and I'm NEVER allowed to be on a different story of the house as everyone else.

You sure that was CPR? Or just mouth to mouth breathing? I hope it wasn't CPR unless you had a heart attack!

Jake=epilepsy warrior!
Not hardly compared to some posts I have read over the years. Of course I can't remember them at the moment. :dontknow:
gigi said:
I went status once in 03', and my memory stinks, and my personality is different now. My son has referred to me as eccentric. Okay by me! Why be normal? :bigsmile:
:roflmao::agree: Between Status and the AED's they do wreak havoc with one's memory don't they?
qtowngirl & J.J. said:
I love my hot baths - I think all we can do is not bath when home alone? I say to hell with that though, tired of the control this always has over me.
having a bath whilst in on my own(I know naughty) started to have a seizure
Yes, VERY NAUGHTY J.J. You gals that are bathing need to put a stop to that, PLEASE. SAFETY FIRST!! PLEASE get someone to be with you. You gals are much more important than a bath. Surly you can wait for someone to be with you. Drowning as I understand it is the #1 cause of accidental deaths and that includes the bath tub.

edepew151 said:
when I fell, I landed with my neck on the edge of my futon. Luckily my mom found me, but I hadn't been breathing and she had to do CPR. I was in the hospital for 3 days.
Sounds like your lucky to be with us. Shows how dangerous it can be to be alone.

Of all the injuries though I think the tongue and cheek biting are really the worst because they happen so often to so many. I've had approximately 13,000 TC's, thankfully my parents were taught to properly use a plastic seizure stick. When I did bite it my doctor gave my Lidocaine spray which also helped a lot.

Jake

Last edited:
Oh it ain't just the ladies....I'll admit I've done it too. But darn it, when it's -20 out in the winter, I LIKE to sit in a nice warm tub. I can't always call someone at that time. (I've ended up getting help from 1 of those home care agencies in my area because of that, as well as other reasons such as balance lately and some back and shoulder problems. But I HATE having someone sit around or helping me in/out of the tub. :paperbag:

Of all the injuries though I think the tongue and cheek biting are really the worst because they happen so often to so many. I've had approximately 13,000 TC's, thankfully my parents were taught to properly use a plastic seizure stick. When I did bite it my doctor gave my Lidocaine spray which also helped a lot.

Jake[/QUOTE]

wow Jake - 13,000 TC holy crap
I hope you're at least over 30 years old, and maybe twice that - otherwise we're talking like at least once a day - that must be unreal

13,000 Tonic Clonics?? HOLY SH!T BATMAN!! Kinda funny because I have "only" had 13 and I absolutley couldnt fathom having 13,000!! I want to shake your hand or something lol

And I couldnt agree with you more on the tongue and cheek biting. Hurts so bad and it nags around for 3 or 4 days.

Last edited:
>>And I couldnt agree with you more on the tongue and cheek biting. Hurts so bad and it nags around for 3 or 4 days.<<

it's weird, it seems I've never really done the tongue/cheek biting

Man consider yourself lucky! Nothin worse than not bein able to talk right or eat right for a week.

I've broken my nose from falling concrete. I also seem to have a lot in the shower so I'll get many cuts and brusies from those. But mostly I just have severe black and blue brusies
gabbyg2000

petox1970 said:
wow Jake - 13,000 TC holy crap
I hope you're at least over 30 years old, and maybe twice that - otherwise we're talking like at least once a day - that must be unreal
Almost twice that :( I'm 58 actually.

gabbyg2000 said:
I also seem to have a lot in the shower so I'll get many cuts and brusies from those. gabbyg2000

It's dangerous having them in the shower too.Too bad we can't choose when & were to have them. People have drowned in showers too. Much safer than bath tubs though. I remember hearing about a button or some device you held to cut off the water in case of a seizure and it would prevent being burned from hot water as well. Can't think of the
manufacturer now but will search for it later.

It's dangerous having them in the shower too.Too bad we can't choose when & were to have them. People have drowned in showers too. Much safer than bath tubs though. I remember hearing about a button or some device you held to cut off the water in case of a seizure and it would prevent being burned from hot water as well. Can't think of the
manufacturer now but will search for it later.
thanksthat would be really helpful because as you said i could drown which is not good!! that invention sounds like a good idea :)
gabby2000

don't sweat the age
I was just sweating the MATH
you must have a couple T-Cs a day??
I've had maybe 4 "confirmed" ones ... two actually observed, and two obvious ones, w/ injury - other than that I have no idea

Last edited by a moderator:

don't sweat the age
I was just sweating the MATH
you must have a couple T-Cs a day??
I've had maybe 4 "confirmed" ones ... two actually observed, and two obvious ones, w/ injury - other than that I have no idea

well that's not quite accurate - ...but I do know that I'm confused by it all

here's to chugging along

Ah people that understand!!!!!

I dunno if you can say there is a worst kind of injury, are you talking pain wise or looking.
Ive had all sorts, dislocated shoulder, dislocated knee, black eyes, fractured nose, smashed both front teeth. I think location deciphers what's worst, I think any injury in the shower because it's dangerous and humiliating...

Oh wow! The teeth must have really hurt :(

Probably the most damage I did to myself in 1 go was in a bathroom- I collapsed bending over the sink, cracked my skull on some tiles, fell back (and this is crazy) managed to go head first thru the plastic side panel of the bath and had my seizure with my head in that tiny space between it and the bath. You couldn't script that could you? :p

My face and neck were in bits- 2 lovely black panda eyes, blood pouring from my head, covered in cuts and bruises and just so much pain from where I strained my neck against the panel :/

I can smile about it now tho, and the really funny part of it was trying to work out where I was, post ictal- with my head in the dark coz the plastic had kind of re-formed round my neck :p

sat on a curb had a seizure where i bashed my face on the concrete and people sat around and watch. chipped several teeth out. they have sinced been replaced. broken left scapula. heart stopped later from a seizure and getting reading with the brace on, and no pain killers on was fun.

ripped my right ear most of the way off. put my bottom two front my teeth through the top lip my left eyebrow has three layers of stitches from several different seizures.

and my thumb doesnt bend out all the way because i passed out underneath a bicycle and the wheel was spinning on top of my thumb and friction burned several millimeters deep before i woke up

and if we are counting amnesia retrograde 5 years +- and anti retrograde 3 years +-

doobie doobie doooooo the list goes on.

i quit counting seizures after 300 they did taper off at that point to though.
Jake I am glad to know things could always be different. And I probably should have someone to look up to. Or at least someone to look out for .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom