What's the worst thing a doctor has ever told you?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lonewolf

New
Reaction score
What's the worst thing a doctor has ever told you?
Probably the worst thing I've ever heard a doctor tell me was "If you don't take those pills you will die" kind of funny really in a morbid way LOL

I am your Macmillan nurse.They nurses for terminally ill but they widen the net to people with life threatening illness that going to live.
Doc saying got good news and bad news bad got breast cancer good news you will live got it in time then went on to say five women before me not so lucky.felt very relieved for me but poor women I saw later that week all long dead now.makes you think about life

I was seeing a neurologist and an epitologist when I was first diagnosed with epilepsy. There's no word to describe how evil the epitologist was. I began having a ton of seizures and told her that something needed to be done, maybe a change in my meds. Her answer - "Well if you'd take your meds then you wouldn't be having seizures!". My mom and husband were at that visit with me and we all told her that I take my meds and I take them on time but she just kept telling me that I wasn't taking them which was why I was having the seizures and didn't do anything.

When I was making my next appt I blew up and told them that I NEVER wanted to see her again, only the neuro!!!!!! Everyone in the waiting room was staring at me when I was doing it. About a week later I called the office and spoke with my neuro and he made all sorts of changes with my meds that reduced the amount of seizures I was having. The epitologist won't even look at me now when I see her in the office!

Another one, I don't know if you want to call it a 'worst thing', but it was when I went to see a dermatologist because I had a really bad itchy rash all over both my arms. He looked at it for a minute and told me that I had some big long word that was probably 20 letters long. I was scared to death and thought I was going to die! When I asked him what that was he said "That's poison ivy"!

Worst for me was about 2 1/2 years ago when seizures got real bad and I was pup in hospital. That is where the worst thing my doctor, neurologist, had told me and that was I needed to get another brain surgery. After the 3 I'd had previously, I was 150% sure I "did not" want another. Directly my mind refuses to go back there in thought and here was my neurologist telling me where he feels I need to go. He was very decent and came up with a different method to deal with problems... this was the worst thing a doctor has ever told me.

I was seeing a neurologist and an epitologist when I was first diagnosed with epilepsy. There's no word to describe how evil the epitologist was. I began having a ton of seizures and told her that something needed to be done, maybe a change in my meds. Her answer - "Well if you'd take your meds then you wouldn't be having seizures!". My mom and husband were at that visit with me and we all told her that I take my meds and I take them on time but she just kept telling me that I wasn't taking them which was why I was having the seizures and didn't do anything.

When I was making my next appt I blew up and told them that I NEVER wanted to see her again, only the neuro!!!!!! Everyone in the waiting room was staring at me when I was doing it. About a week later I called the office and spoke with my neuro and he made all sorts of changes with my meds that reduced the amount of seizures I was having. The epitologist won't even look at me now when I see her in the office!

Another one, I don't know if you want to call it a 'worst thing', but it was when I went to see a dermatologist because I had a really bad itchy rash all over both my arms. He looked at it for a minute and told me that I had some big long word that was probably 20 letters long. I was scared to death and thought I was going to die! When I asked him what that was he said "That's poison ivy"!

My blood almost went toxic on dilantin a few years ago and the neurologist didn't tell me. That always ticked me off over that.

I was new to being diagnosed and you know, spending the first 25 years of your life without being told you had epilepsy it was a hard pill to swallow (pardon the pun here) and I refused to take medication right away. I wanted a second opinion.
My neuro says "That's fine, don't take the medicine. If you wreck and kill your child I'm not the one who would care" I was disgusted that he would put it like that.

But being in a small town with him being the only one who accepted my insurance I continued to see him through my following pregnancy where I did go on medication because I was starting to have obvious seizures (they used to appear as fainting spells or partials). He put me on Topamax and Keppra. I was a ball of rage who couldn't think straight and started having chest pain while losing over 45 pounds in a month. I called them numerous times to get in and see him to have my meds changed and he was never available. Eventually he says over the phone "Just stop taking them! If you don't like what I'm giving you just stop then!" No recommendation of a new med, no gradually stopping, nothing. So I did take myself off of them slowly without his help.

I stopped all medication until I was pregnant yet again and started having seizures again late in the pregnancy (about 1.5 years later). Again he was the only neuro who accepted my insurance but I couldn't go through him so I settled for his nurse practitioner who has been an absolute dream! I adore her! Maybe my expectations were low after him but she listens and cares. They put me back on Keppra (the hospital) when I started having seizures again and it was not even two weeks before I started having emotional problems again. She changed me to Vimpat (my insurance wouldn't cover Vimpat but since it was safer than the rest she provided me enough samples to make it through the pregnancy and for the first couple weeks) and after my child was born I wanted to nurse so she saw me through changing to Tegredol which has been alright (still foggy but not like Topamax) and now that I'm not nursing she is putting in a prescription for Ativan tablets and since my insurance was cancelled she is still consulting me via phone until I can get insurance. I love her!

Strangely enough doc said same thing as cancer do good news not raving mad bad news got epilepsy.I have since discovered it not end of world far worse things.Most of us get treatment that works and live very normal life even if it bad at least we got brain.There two things that make my life misery is the aura and migraine anything in between I have either no knowlege or little knowledge.Rarely I have woken up in esulation unit at hospital looking at about 4 others doing same usually epilepsy or diabetes hypo.i have seen people in status there that not so good they left on own no doc around very bad

Before I was correctly diagnosed with Epilepsy, the dr. I originally saw said I was hypoglycemic. He did not order any kind of tests. Several months later, I had my 1st Tonic/Clonic seizure and was in the hospital for two months.

There have been too many dumb-a$$ docs since then that have said stupid things to me. I've had to educate some of them because they seem to be beginners. I was an "experiment" for so long.

Before I was correctly diagnosed with Epilepsy, the dr. I originally saw said I was hypoglycemic. He did not order any kind of tests. Several months later, I had my 1st Tonic/Clonic seizure and was in the hospital for two months.

There have been too many dumb-a$$ docs since then that have said stupid things to me. I've had to educate some of them because they seem to be beginners. I was an "experiment" for so long.

I know the feeling! I was too!

But I was misdiagnosed as Dissociative Identity Disorder because I would act funny during my blackouts and say things I didn't remember (often mumbling). No true signs of the disorder apart from blackouts.

I spent a good 15 years with that label with doctors over medicating me, one even put me on toxic levels of Lithium because she knew when I was on that high of a dose I would have blackouts and she wanted to "gain progress" with my disorder, not knowing that it was seizures the medication was inducing. It was horrible.

The doctors would get all excited thinking I would be some challenge or trophy patient they could fix and would test all of these methods on me and I would feel like a lab rat often sitting there as I was supposed to be hypnotized so my non existant alter personality could show up and I'm sitting there thinking "What's wrong with me?" because their certainty that that was it made me convinced but their lack of progress they would blame on me refusing to let them in.

Then I got diagnosed with schizophrenia because of my black outs and my visual hallucinations, as many times as I told them the hallucinations were not dangerous but more of walls breathing, colors bleeding, etc... I was labeled a schizophrenic for years as well.

It sucks.

I will add that twice during these 15 years psychiatrists recommended being checked for epilepsy but the therapist would all but dismiss the recommendation by saying things like "Oh they have to look at every angle, they don't see what I see" or one even said "Well have you even had a seizure before?"

I got dumb Arse doctors before diagnosis boy lot them around.i know a lot spend student days pissed out of mind(son doctor)with a lot they never got over hang over

The worst thing a neuro ever told me is after he increased my dosage for Depakene and I told him that my family Dr. had been keeping track of it because it can get into the blood platelets. The neuro looked at me with his feet upon his desk and said: "Whose the Dr. you son of a bi_ch". Then I stopped seeing him and went to a different neuro who did a blood test on me to find I was bleeding interenally because the first neuro didn't give a darn. I later found out he has 7 lawsuits for mal practice. Thanks for sharing this topic and thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I wish all of you well and May God Bless All of You!

Sue

The worst thing a neuro ever told me is after he increased my dosage for Depakene and I told him that my family Dr. had been keeping track of it because it can get into the blood platelets. The neuro looked at me with his feet upon his desk and said: "Whose the Dr. you son of a bi_ch". Then I stopped seeing him and went to a different neuro who did a blood test on me to find I was bleeding interenally because the first neuro didn't give a darn. I later found out he has 7 lawsuits for mal practice. Thanks for sharing this topic and thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I wish all of you well and May God Bless All of You!

Sue

That guy sounds like a real SOB. A lot of doctors don't care they just care about the money. That's why I always research every neurologist to see if I can figure out their background.

The worst thing that a neuro "professional" told me was that my problems were psychology-based. She told me to have cognitive behavior therapy.

The funny thing here was that I was already having CBT therapy, and my psych professionals saw my seizures as physiologically-based, not psychological. The CBT was designed to help me deal with my epilepsy, not the other way around.

I guess the problem stems from the fact that my neuro health practitioner, a nurse practicioner and not an actual neurology/epileptologist, was frigid and incompetent. From my experience, she was scared sh*tless of epilepsy patients.

I don't want to be "practiced" on. I want treatment.

The worst thing that a neuro "professional" told me was that my problems were psychology-based. She told me to have cognitive behavior therapy.

The funny thing here was that I was already having CBT therapy, and my psych professionals saw my seizures as physiologically-based, not psychological. The CBT was designed to help me deal with my epilepsy, not the other way around.

I guess the problem stems from the fact that my neuro health practitioner, a nurse practicioner and not an actual neurology/epileptologist, was frigid and incompetent. From my experience, she was scared sh*tless of epilepsy patients.

I don't want to be "practiced" on. I want treatment.

I had a trainee neurologist years back who just about killed me. The only good part about it was that she was a beautiful woman. I still didn't want to end up dead over her LOL

Pediatritian at age 1,5:

"The MRI shows irreversible brain damage, two large white spots on both sides of the brain stem which is dead brain tissue caused by too low glucose levels after birth. He will be seriously mentally disabled, it's very likely he has severe epilepsy, some kind of visual impairment and probably will never walk or talk."

=-0

Wow i thought i was the only one with bad neurologist.. omg.. ive never had a good one.. mine always tell me to either take more pills or start actually taking them. (which i do btw) god knows who wouldnt take theres.. anyways theres always a stupid reason they have. i just cant seem to find a good neurologist it sucks.. =-/

It was when I was told 5yrs ago by 4 drs who specialized in neurology, that brain surgery would work wonders for me.

I hate myself for trusting in their ideas because of how confident they were in themselves and each other that it made me blind and deaf to anything, and everybody else.

Last edited:
When I went to the doctor because I kept having to urinate at night:
"Just pray to Buddha" ��
(I think it's a migraine aura now, but she said that as soon as I told her the problem without having any history of my health or tests for the problem)

The winner for me was an ER doctor telling me that Percocet was not a cure for epilepsy. The look on his face after I about took his head off was priceless.
Second place was a neurologist assistant that kept saying 'you people' in reference to those with epilepsy. Thankfully the neurologist didn't like that either.

Probably the worst thing I've ever heard was when I started seeing a new neurologist because I had moved. He was a young guy, and apparently skipped the day they learned empathy in med school! I will never forget his words when he came in the room with my chart:
*sigh* "Yeah, I just don't even know what to do with you. You're pretty much a lost cause. Sorry." WORST. DOCTOR. EVER.

Back
Top Bottom