What's the worst thing a doctor has ever told you?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Probably the worst thing I've ever heard was when I started seeing a new neurologist because I had moved. He was a young guy, and apparently skipped the day they learned empathy in med school! I will never forget his words when he came in the room with my chart:
*sigh* "Yeah, I just don't even know what to do with you. You're pretty much a lost cause. Sorry." WORST. DOCTOR. EVER.

I can't believe some of the things all of you have heard from doctors. Even though some parts of true empathy cannot be easily learned by an adult, doctors can be taught to at least PRETEND to show compassion and empathy. I really think medical school needs to emphasize emotional intelligence more. I know the students are busy enough learning the physical stuff, but the lack of people skills that some doctors have is horrible. And I truly think comments like these can contribute to worse outcomes for the patient - so these skills are worth teaching!

One worst things doc told me You pregnant.what day that was long story but let's say doc was brusk but I won't repeat my parents words but thank god I was hundred miles away when told them

Back
Top Bottom