When did CSI become an epileptics nightmare?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I always enjoyed watching CSI so I was glad to see netflix has added some new seasons to watch instantly. And of the one I most enjoyed watching (the one with grisham)

First episode of CSI season 7, I was in a seizure within seconds of it starting. I figured all the fancy light work was because it was the season opener and so skipped to the third episode. It was also unwatchable because without warning the screen would bright flash to indicate they were taking pictures. So I figured they had forgone the crime in lieu of enticing people with pretty light shows

So I moved on to CSI miami. Perhaps I was more suseptible being as I was just exposed to all the flashing lights in the other CSI, but the camera was rapidly panning quite quickly and suddenly, causing more flashing like images

I haven't had any problems with CSI or any other shows...but to be honest, I haven't watched for at least one season. :) I find the flashy light effects annoying and always look down when they start or in the opposite direction as the TV...

The flashes bother me on CSI and CSI NY, enough that I stopped watching. I really liked watching the NY one.

Other shows which are bad..

any celebrity show, like entertainment tonight, and e talk. e talk tends to give me partial seizures, ironically enough..

also hockey and basketball. It's tough not being able to watch hockey. Especially since we just got our NHL team back. It's like having this great thing just out of my reach.

basically any white flashing light starts up the aura engine.

that also includes school buses. The put strobe lights on the top of them for some unknown reason.

I used to watch CSI all the time but when Grisham left it just wasn't the same so I stopped.

I never had any problems watching it and I watch alot of crime shows now that I think have similar lighting that it did. I also see movies that have fancy lighting and that's never effected me either.

Have you brought this up with your doctor? It could be something else that is bringing on seizures because of it.

No. I understand. My son and I both do that to flashy lights. Mostly after long days./ear plugs are good to have around to.

i also get bothered with shows like CSI and NCIS LA to name a few with the bright flashes and the sequences they have just before the adds. i have to look away quickly when this happens as i dont seize but i get sick.

I don't seize but it gives me like motion sicks feeling. If I don't get away from it I will seize for sure.

a tip to maybe help with the hockey?
try adjusting the brightness of the TV down - it's a big white glaring surface afterall
I don't know what your triggers are though
I had a seizure during Liam Neeson's "The Grey" movie which was a lot of white/dark contrast and flashy/stuttery camerawork (but I wasn't feeling well prior to going in to the movie...)
I've never had a problem watching hockey - I've got an old CRT type TV too, which might be advantageous when it comes to visual intensity.

The flashes bother me on CSI and CSI NY, enough that I stopped watching. I really liked watching the NY one.

Other shows which are bad..

any celebrity show, like entertainment tonight, and e talk. e talk tends to give me partial seizures, ironically enough..

also hockey and basketball. It's tough not being able to watch hockey. Especially since we just got our NHL team back. It's like having this great thing just out of my reach.

basically any white flashing light starts up the aura engine.

I like the CSI's and NCIS too. Most shows of any kind these days are flashy so, I just make sure the room I'm in is well lit and keep my distance from the TV. If I follow these rules I set for myself I'm usually fine.
Oh, and to Petero, I just watched The Grey like an hour ago and thought it was great.

Oh, and besides....in the dark I don't need a TV to see flashing lights. Anybody else experience this??? I keep meaning to bring it up to my nuero.

yeah - it sucked because it looks like a great movie
intense too because it's the first movie Neeson did after his wife died (in real life, also a movie plot point if I recall)

you might be able to concur at least that the movie is intense

I like the CSI's and NCIS too. Most shows of any kind these days are flashy so, I just make sure the room I'm in is well lit and keep my distance from the TV. If I follow these rules I set for myself I'm usually fine.
Oh, and to Petero, I just watched The Grey like an hour ago and thought it was great.

Yes, I concur. "The Grey" is very intense and very white....I wouldn't suggest watching it in low lighting or in the dark. In the dark it would definitely create a strobe effect.

Back
Top Bottom