When your body temperature drops, does that reduce your chances of having a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Kind of the opposite of how hot weather can cause a seizure-I swim in the ocean a lot. My body temperature drops at least 3-5 degrees. I noticed unlike when I am outside in 85-90 degree weather, right after I swim in the cold water, I am as far as I can get from feeling as if I am going to have a seizure. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I see reports from time to time in various epilepsy forums of people who have seizures from getting into a pool (presumably because the water is cold). These seem to be some sort of reflex seizure though and occur before the body really has a chance to change its core temperature.

I have noticed sudden changes in temperature from cold to hot cause seizures, but come to think of it that doesn't seem to happen when I go from "hot to cold."

I'll have to wait until winter time to say for sure though.

It could also have something to do with your natural body temperature - those with lowers might have less seizures in the cold, while those with higher normal temperatures may have less seizures in the heat

Nope....the only reason my body temp drops is due to blood sugar dropping. If my blood sugar drops too low, I end up seizing.

I live where temps. exceed 100 degree mark

Out here during the months from May to mid Septemeber temps. semmto be inmid 90s' to 105 or more dependind what part of West Texas you live. Yesterday I wa outside for a little while and it completely drained me. And I felt as if I was going to have a seizure all day. It seems to affect me the same so my doctor told me to stay out of the heat! But, there is truth to that it doesn't matter how cold or hot it can cause a seizure! All the times I had E.M.U. s when there was a change in temp. there was a change in waves on my eegs too. In that interesting!
David

If my body is exposed to something cold
suddenly, it can provoke me into a seizure
mode; but not so vice versa. I cannot tolerate
coldness at all. But if it's a gradual cooling -
but if it gets too cold, I'll freeze too easily
and I'm not able to stay warm.

I'm 100% Tropical Sunbird here.

It's not a joke when it's stated that I freeze
at 72*, but I'm even known to wear a jacket
and it would be 78* outside and I'm shivering!
It's always been a life-long problem for me.

You are not going to believe this, but I do
have Central A/C & Heat - but my A/C during
the day is set for 83* - and when I fall asleep,
I sleep with a comforter and sometimes even
with a blanket!

Now the winter time, I use the old waterbed
(which is water proof) heating pad, which I turn
on (low) under the mattress liner and it warms
up the bed (but it does not get cold here where
I reside very much) and I do have a space jet
oil heater. It's cheaper and energy efficient this
way.

body temperature

Hi guys.
This sounds weird but I've noticed that I've had , on occasion, an aura or small
seizure after I've taken a hot shower. Any opinions on whether or not
raising my body temp. from a hot shower could cause them? Thanks.

Some of my worst auras have happened after getting overheated in the Florida sun. I almost gave everyone a show at the Venice Sharks Tooth Festival this last spring by flopping over after a bad one. Mom got me into the shade and ran and got me an icee to cool me off. I felt horrible all day afterward, and even worse, we had to leave after only having been there for about 30 minutes, so we didn't get to see much of anything.

Back
Top Bottom