"Where Are Your Stitches Madame?"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elaine H

New
Reaction score
Hi All

I just got out of hospital yesterday, after what appears to have been a successful Right Temporal Lobe Resection, I've had my right Hippocampus removed, and I haven't had anyproblems since the surgery last Wed 26th June!! Brilliant news, I am feeling ok and on the mend, thanks to all you guys for your kind words, and for keeping me in your thoughts! I do look like I've had a row with Mike Tyson, and my hair is a bit 1980's on one side!! but what a small price to pay eh?

I have got to tell you about this, I have just rang my doctors surgery to make an appointment to have my stitches and clips removed on Friday July 3rd, as instructed by my surgeon. The receptionist said..." Do you have the tool to remove the clips?" I was like yeah right, of course I have, I'ven even got the scalpel I did it myself the surgery!!! What the Hell was she talking about, I said, "No I don't have the tool to remove my clips!" Wait for this guys, she then asked me...."Can I ask whereabouts your stitches are?" I was totally incensed!!! Where the Hell did she think they were going to be, I felt like saying round the top of my big toe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, they have gone off to see if they have the correct equipment, what is this world coming to?! I will keep you posted, but I thought that was hilarious, and it made my head hurt laughing!!!!!

Cheers All:brain:

Love

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Yay, Elaine's back!!!:woot:

So glad the surgery went well.

Oh good grief !!!
You know how I've bragged ang bragged about "my" hospital..... I have a funny too.
After the first surgery (in that over crowded, over worked hospital) a nurse came dashing in, yanked out all the various tubes and junk and said, "OK, Nancy, you need to get out of bed and walk. Walk, girl, walk the halls as much as you can."

And *zip* she was gone. Full of terror I was alone in that bed so far from the floor. Finally a young woman came in to move things around and I asked if she would help me out the bed and help me walk. Kindly and sweetly she said, "Of course!" and proceeded to do so.

As I took my first step she said "Why are you here?". I tried to point to the hideous bandage on my head (!) and said, "I just had brain surgery."

She yelped "Brain surgery?!? Brain surgery??!!" and took off. In that hospital 'brain surgery' is not worth or deserving of aid. I started walking the halls alone and doing just fine.

And, of course, Elaine, it's GREAT to hear that you're home and doing fine. Prayers answered.
I'm so tickled that all has gone well - at least until stitches and clips are due out - What good news.

Great news Elaine! :clap:

lol @ receptionist

"Can I ask whereabouts your stitches are?"

"Can I tell you how much confidence you are inspiring in me?"

:roflmao:

Yeahhhhh!!!!!!!!

We're so glad you're back, Elaine!

I don't know if we've talked before or not, but I'm so very glad that you're done with your surgery, and all went well.

Congratulations, and take it easy! I can't believe the doctor's office asked that though.......wow.

How very inspiring. I was wondering if you would be up and able to write on the board again this quickly or not. That's amazing.

Again, congratulations.

Glad to hear from you

Sounds like the NHS though!!!!!turns out the reason for my second MRI in 3 weeks yesterday was cos they lost the films from the last one....they still haven't found the films from the one i had 5 yrs ago!!! Hope you're feeling OK and they find the right thing to get the stitches out,and don't remove your little finger by mistake:roflmao: Good to hear from you, we're all hoping your recovery goes well.:flowers:(i'd give you grapes but there wern't any in the emoticon shop!)

Wishing you well, Elaine! I hope everything continues to go good with your recovery. We all know what dealing with doctors' offices are like. Unfortunately, we have no choice.

Hi All

I am due a Colonoscopy soon, and I did ask the brain surgeon if maybe they could deal with the Hippocampus and then turn the trolley round while I was under the anaesthetic!! Ha Ha!! He did laugh!

Cheers
Elaine xx

:woot:

So good to have you back Elaine. So far, so good with the surgery. We will keep you in our thoughts.

Your story reminded me of when a friend of mine had a small tumor removed. The doctor was talking to them about when to remove the clips (I was helping to take him home). We joked about me removing them since I was an EMT at the time. The doctor handed me the little tool to remove them and about a week later, I was in his kitchen removing staples from the head of my childhood friend.

Yay! :banana:I am happy to hear your home and feeling better. I will keep you in my thoughts. I still hope this goes well for you. Funny story though. By the way no seizures yet. I made it over a month without any. Woo-hoo!! :woot: But I go and see my Neurologist on the 7th of this month for a check-up. I will keep you updated. I am so happy your doing good. :rose:

Hi Elaine,

So glad your surgery is over and you are doing so well!! I see you have your wonderful sense of humor..that is a good sign you are on the road to recovery! I am sure you'll be glad to get the stitches out..make sure you bring your garden tools just in case they are out!!!! Ha!! Take care and relax while you recover!!

Hugs!
michelle : )))

Elaine -
So glad to hear that your surgery went so well. You really have to wonder about people sometimes and where their common sense is.

Hi There
Thanks for replying, can you believe my doc's?!!? I can't believe how quickly I am up and about, when I was in recovery after the surgery, I had cheese and crackers and a much enjoyed hot cup of tea, it was lush!! One of the scariest parts of the whole experience was the MRI scan, God how I hate those things, they terrify me, I am pretty claustrophobic!
Anyway, it's great to be back, even if I do look like a punk rocker that time forgot! I look forward to catching up with all on this site, and I'm gonna put some make up on, I don't want to scare the postman!! Keep in touch, and great to hear from you!

Cheers

Elaine x

Hi Lyn

I can't be positive enough about my surgery, of course it is still early days, but I have now nearly been seizure free for a week, which is an absolute miracle considering how bad things were before the operation.

Thanks to all you wonderful people on this site, it was so good to know that people were thinking of me, I was so scared the morning of the operation, but as always with that wonderful hospital, I received nothing but the best of treatment and care both before and after the surgery, I gave them a Thank You card on my last day, I just wanted to thank them for making my stay so comfortable. This is the first morning that I haven't needed any painkillers, I am getting stronger every day, I just wish they hadn't had to shave one side of my hair off, you know if a girl's hair ain't right, nothing else matters, and I was just starting to like myself after many many years of low self image and self esteem, I know it will grow back, but in the meantime, I look a right pratt!!

Let me know how you are doing, and thanks so much for your letter, great to hear fromyou!

Best Wishes

Elaine xx

Last edited:
Wonderful that you are doing so well. Attitude is everything. Keep healing.

Hi Lynn

Thanks for welcoming me back! I am so glad that I am still in possesion of my faculties! I was so releived to wake up in Recovery and ask for a cuppa tea, and they gave me cheese and crackers, that night back on the ward, I was texting jokes to friends and family, it all went well, and my surgeon was more than pleased with how it all went, what a wonderful team of people!

I'm back at home, this time last week I was waiting to go into the MRI scanner (the scariest part of my stay!!!!) I cannot believe that it's all over with, now I just want my hair to grow back and get my clips out on Friday, let the swelling go down, and stop scaring the postman! I do look a bit like something out of a horror movie, losing my lovely blonde hair has been one of the worst parts of this, but hey, what a small price to pay, I have been seizure and aura free for a week! A bloody miracle for me I can tell you!

I hope all is well with you, and keep in touch eh?

Best Wishes

Elaine xx

Elaine,

Such lovely news to hear, and I'm still laughing
about the surgical suture removal. But how are
you doing so far? I'm really thrilled to hear that
it was all successful and things went so well!

:tup:

Elaine,

The punk looks coming back in,your just ahead of the fashionista set!!!:banana: I'm glad your recovery's going well, and you seem to have given me hope for the future. oh,here's a good on, elaine...I fell asleep during my MRI scan on monday!!! with the loud noise going and everything...the radiographer thought i'd died or something:roflmao:he'd never had anyone do that,but i had had a seizure in the waiting room, i was tired!! hope you continue to stay seizure free, FINGERS CROSSED.

Hi Nancy

Thanks for your kind words, everyone has been so fantastic on this site, and what an incredible comfort to know that so many people were really rooting for me, and thinking of me, totally wicked!!
I'll let you know how I get on at this stupid docs tomorrow, my gorgeous partner Mark is coming in with me, and as a paramedic, he won't let them mess me about! Bless him, I often wonder what I did to desrerve such a wonderful friend and partner as that man!!
I hope all is well with you? I am pleased to say, that I remain seizure free!! that's a whole week with not even an aura, absolutely fantastic! the auras were the scariest bit!! I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for keeping in touch!

Cheers & Loadsalove

Elaine xx

Back
Top Bottom