Why is Lamotrigine so expensive?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fil

New
Reaction score
It just seem odd to me that the generic version of Lamictal costs us over $500 a month. Very soon we are going to have to start covering our own prescriptions, so knowing why would at least make it a bit easier to write that check every month. Maybe. Since it's generic, can you find better prices at different pharmacies? Thanks for any help!

I know! I didn't have proper insurance coverage when I went on Lamictal, and a month's supply cost me $1000!!! I'm surprised the generic costs that much though. With insurance my rx = $50 month because it's a "tier 3" med. Whi chmeans the drug company has a stranglehold on the price.

I know! I didn't have proper insurance coverage when I went on Lamictal, and a month's supply cost me $1000!!! I'm surprised the generic costs that much though. With insurance my rx = $50 month because it's a "tier 3" med. Whi chmeans the drug company has a stranglehold on the price.

I remember this discussion from before. I still can't believe it costs you guys that much! Where I am, generic was $67 a month and brand name $167 a month. And I didn't have to pay anything with the generic. And $5 for the brand name. You guys are being robbed!

Is it really safe to order drugs online? Eh, even if it was, my wife would never go for it!

We could just drive over into Canada and do it directly. If it really is 67 bucks, it would be worth the trip for sure!

I personally would never buy drugs online.

As for buying them in Canada goes, they really are that cheap but only because the govt insures us. They might be cheaper than in the US but if so, they won't be that cheap for non-Canadians.

Low Cost Prescription/Generic Medications

RxSavingsPlus is a free drug/prescription discount card, to help lower the price for medication. It can be used at CVS Pharmacy, Target, Rite Aid and 60,000 participating pharmacies nationwide. http://www.rxsavingsplus.com/

Partnership for Patient Assistance helps qualifying patients who lack prescription coverage to get the medicines they need through the public or private program that’s right for them. http://www.pparx.org/ or call toll-free, 1-888-4PPA-NOW (1-888-477-2669).

You can find other links at http://epilepsytalk.com/2009/09/02/free-prescription-drug-assistance/ but RxSavingsPlus is my first choice because it's easy and it covers most drug store chains.

Yup. I have kept all my old pill bottles so I can compare prices and make something neat with it when I get a few more. I figured if Im going to be on pills my whole life I may as well make use of the "waste"

My name brand Dilantin was $18 for a 30 day supply. which is not too bad. They dont even carry the generic he said because it is too expensive for them to ship it all the way here pay $140 for freight when the whole thing probably costs that much. it was about $2.79 for a 30 day supply of generic.

SIlly eh?

LOL! The info thread that Bernard cited Exploring options for inexpensive or free prescriptions now leads to a page on panic disorder! Oh well, what's the diff?

I can't believe how expensive meds can be. My Keppra XR costs $945 and Lamictal XR cost $712 and thats for seizures.
For migraines I take Butalbital which cost $11.99 and for Tachycardia/P.A.Cs I take Propranolol and those cost $12. This is kinda crazy because Propranolol is used for heart attacks/recovering from them, and for heart conditions which can be serious!
I take Elestat for eye allergy and that cost $150 for a small bottle 0.5ml and then I take Veramyst for allergies and that cost $113! Those ar all brand name meds but still! Insane!!

I buy mine online, through not the companies listed in my previous post. I buy it through a mail-order company that's somehow affiliated wth my insurance company. It saves me around $2500 per year.

I have to admit, though, I don't get my seizure meds there. I get those from the pharmacy down the street, where I know people and they take good care of me. They tell me if a generic is going to change.

As for buying them in Canada goes, they really are that cheap but only because the govt insures us. They might be cheaper than in the US but if so, they won't be that cheap for non-Canadians.

Actually, they are cheaper even before the insurance because the Canadian government negotiates the cost down. I looked into it, and a month's supply would be $125 vs $500+ here. So that would be worth the trip for sure.

However, I found the "Oregon Prescription Drug Program" which is open to all residents and brings the cost down to about $30 a month! So, we're going to give that a shot and see if it's for real. If not, we're taking a day trip up north!

Actually, they are cheaper even before the insurance because the Canadian government negotiates the cost down. I looked into it, and a month's supply would be $125 vs $500+ here. So that would be worth the trip for sure.

Wow, that's a 400% increase in cost and it's for a larger population when prices usually drop when in quantity.

I guess I really am lucky in that respect.

Somebody was telling me about people who organized bus trips from the US to Canada, arranged doctors appointments up here so that they could get a prescription & get their meds here before going back. I wasn't sure if I should believe it but it's sounding more & more likely to be true.

beware generic for some

For Lamictal, I tried generic for a while to lower my cost which was a big issue on prior insurance. It def did not work nearly as well...Doc(s) have told me that this happens with some folks for some reason with generic seizure meds. I was incredibly lucky when I changed jobs as I now have great insurance and my monthly out of pocket is only 35.00. Does anyone know if there are groups out there that will assist people with a proven financial need with medication cost? I have heard of that assistance from some groups supporting cancer and diabetis drugs, but not epilepsy. Just a thought for research.

For Lamictal, I tried generic for a while to lower my cost which was a big issue on prior insurance. It def did not work nearly as well...Doc(s) have told me that this happens with some folks for some reason with generic seizure meds. I was incredibly lucky when I changed jobs as I now have great insurance and my monthly out of pocket is only 35.00. Does anyone know if there are groups out there that will assist people with a proven financial need with medication cost? I have heard of that assistance from some groups supporting cancer and diabetis drugs, but not epilepsy. Just a thought for research.

generic Lamictal didn't work for me at all! I went from having 2 nocturnal TC a month (related to hormones) to having 15 TC a month which included breakthrough seizures a month. I ended up hitting my head on our oak coffee table and having to get 5 staples in my head at the ER. Totally not worth the risk IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom