Why seizures are back after surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cadsgj

Stalwart
Reaction score
Just went to my neurologist last week after he mentioned I possibly should go back for another surgery (3 prior)... yes seizures have come back and somewhat out of control. Well good and bad meeting. Good part is, surgery is an option but most likely not a necessity :) And that makes me feel sooo good. Bad part is he found out why the seizures have come back. After my last surgery they did not take enough of the brain... but if they had taken all the brain needed to totally stop seizures, I would not be able to talk. One just has to wonder why I didn't get the choice! Shoot, I would have given up speech without a second thought if they just would have asked, but now the thought of going back for another surgery freaks me out... guess we just have to work on better medication :rolleyes: I think...

Sounds very familiar. That is what happened with my brain and surgery, too. It does make one wonder why some do get a 2nd chance and not others. NO seizures without consequences vs. NO seizures without being able to speak again. Makes me want to be on that show and ask "What Would You Do?" :ponder:

But I did stop having pity parties long ago. Just trying to live one day at a time.

Has your neuro mentioned the VNS?

My husband had brain surgery in 1972 and he had to learn to talk again.He never had another seizure. I had brain surgery 1982 RTL it didn't stop mine, they found out later my sz's were on both sides.

I was going to... this darn memory of mine HATES my drugs. I had a list of important items/issues I didn't want to forget... forgot to put this VNS issue on my list AND I forgot to take the list to my neurologist last week.

I'll ask my doctor here in a couple weeks but I highly suspect he will say to talk to my neurologist about it next time I go see him.

Seizures on both sides... ouch! I cannot even imagine what that would be like.

Back
Top Bottom