why vimpat contolled

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kimba

New
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Vimpat is a controlled substance? That seems wierd?

It's a schedule v, which is the least restrictive of the controlled meds. As an example, something like hydrocodone (the narcotic part of percocet) is a scedule II. Thet say there is a small risk of abuse because in many patients it gives an effect similar to the benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan etc.), which are schedule IV.

Hey Crystalblue:

What a very pharmalogical professional, savvy answer!! :~D Your answer is something my neurologist should've told me, because when I asked him why vimpat's a controlled substance, he rolled his eyes & said, "Oh, Ann, it's just politics, politics, politics..."

Hey Crystalblue:

What a very pharmalogical professional, savvy answer!! :~D Your answer is something my neurologist should've told me, because when I asked him why vimpat's a controlled substance, he rolled his eyes & said, "Oh, Ann, it's just politics, politics, politics..."
Smile. In nursing school, they actually taught us how to communicate with patients. Med school, not so much.

Yea Chrystalblue, you gave me a legitmate answer. Thank you!! Doctors don't seem to have the answers, just whats on the pamphlets that come along. My Doctor is not bad tho, she does listen.

Kim

Very informative! I am on Vimpat, and I had no idea it was a controlled substance ;)

Back
Top Bottom