why women tend to have more seizures during there menstral time?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I just recently started my period and well i am overwhelmed by the seizure activity. i am zoning out and seeing auras and then i end up with the big crash.
i have been trying to get my medication back up to where it was and the process is so long and i feel like i have been hit by a train. i am on 50mg of limictal and on 50mg of topamax along with 1mg of clonzapam 2times daily? is there anything else i can do to help the relief?
Does anyone know why women tend to have more seizure activity during this time of the month?

I only have seizures a few days before my period starts. It is called catemenial (spelling) epilepsy. I have tried a few different meds for it, its best to talk with your neuro tho to find what is best for you. Estrogen fluctuations are the main cause of seizures around your period. I went on birth control pills to help regulate my cycle so we could better predict the days I was most likely to seize, and even went on the kind where you only get your period a few times a year to even further lesson the chances of having a seizure.

Good Luck

My research from Pub Med articles found that synthetic hormones was not as effective as bio-identical. Rebecca has used Progesterone to balance the estrogen. Estrogen excites the brain and Progesterone calms it. For Rebecca's situation we found that her body was not making enough progesterone. It is something to talk with your doctor about.

Magnesium has helped me eliminate migraines that I use to get at my time of the month. Rebecca also supplements with magnesium.

I also learned that there are foods that are high in estrogen. Managing your nutritional choices can also keep your seizure threshold from dropping.

Make sure you don't eat any soy during the time of your increased seizures, and reduce your salt and fluid intake (unfortunately the maxim that the more you drink the less you'll retain is unlikely to apply to you)

Are you on birth control? Most bc pills make seizures worse and it can take years to find the right one for you

Back
Top Bottom