Women with E having children / Pregnancy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
Well last night I was on facebook and looking at the numerous Epilepsy support groups there and on one of them (can't remember which) someone asked about whether women with E had discussed women's issues and having children with their dr. A number of women said that they were considering adoption because they didn't want the epilepsy or the medication potentially harming their child. Others had considered having to change their medication or trialling being off their meds for a time before becoming pregnant. One woman however said that as an epileptic she could not encourage any woman with E to raise a child/children if it's at all possible to avoid as they would have to witness their mothers ill health. I understand that this woman may have had a difficult experience but I was just shocked to hear someone almost discouraging women with Epilepsy not just not to bear their own biological children but also to not even raise children of their own through adoption or other means. I have 3 biological children of my own - I became pregnant naturally, stayed on my meds (Epilim) throughout all 3 pregnancies and went through childbirth like any other pregnant woman. There are others who adopt and I have a friend whose mother is one of them. She does have seizures now and then but she's a wonderful mother and I couldn't imagine telling her that she should avoid raising children if possible. Am I taking this too seriously?????

Not everyone's up-to-date...

It would be strongly recommended that the women be
in close rapport with the Gynecologist, Neurologist or
Epileptologist, and Primary - and everything to be monitored
closely. There are no reasons why a woman with Epilepsy
cannot have children unless there's additional medical
reasons behind it (such that which I will not disclose,
for that would be between the Doctors and Patient).

I have an adult son, but I also suffered from miscarriages
as well - however, I was monitored, but back then they
lowered the meds and took me off temporarily, but
resumed it after the birth, but kept it at low dosage
only due to breast-feeding, but once that was dis-
continued, my meds were resumed.

It varies from woman-to-woman and depending on the
situation and circumstances.

However, keep in mind - some Medical Doctors aren't all
"up to par" with Epilepsy; there are those out there who
believes women should have hysterectomy and/or should
not bear any children, and mainly - it's most likely they
are not "up-to-date" with the latest Neurology / Neuroscience
information ... same goes with OB/Gynecologists likewise.

So it's a good idea to have one that's in tune with the
latest information and is up-to-date and if possible,
"on the current trends", for such are better to work with
and the mother and child would have a better and brighter
future ahead!

Now see,

it's people like that who just drive me NUTS. They just don't have all the information necessary.

As long as one involves ALL of their doctors, and WEIGHS ALL OF THEIR OPTIONS, it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to bear children as an E patient. *sputtering* I know this, I have done it 3 times myself. Funny thing, I was told I was STERILE from my original meds......and ended up pregnant within 3 months of being married.....

And Brain's right, there HAS TO BE a LOT of monitoring going on.......and trust me, there was for my three kids......I had ultrasounds on a regular basis, and bloodwork at LEAST once a week.......

I was not allowed to go off my meds, and therefore I was not allowed to breastfeed either, much to my dismay. BUT, my pregnancies were fairly uneventful.

My children are better able to deal with people being sick because of my seizures. My daughter has even had to call the ambulance for me before. And when my youngest son was very sick for a number of years, the older ones were able to deal with it, because they had seen my problems with my E.

I think I'm going to get off my soap box now:soap: and go hide for awhile...:paperbag:

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

I'm shocked! I can't believe that the person actually suggested that people with E not even adopt! *sigh* I just can't believe how ignorant people can be......I totally agree with what Brain and Meetz had to say. As long as a woman with E is honest and working with all of her doctor's, knows the risks, and is working with her neurologist, having a child as an E patient.
Also, with all the children out there who don't have families, adoption is always a viable option. Argh....sorry...just frustrated by the ignorance.

I think it depends on your age, situation, meds, how strong you are mentally. I know many mom's with ep. and there children are fine. But then there is the opposite. It also depends on the care they are receiving.I believe it's a one on one thing.But that is such a personal thing, when I was pregnant with my boy,I remember this so clearly, I told my brother in excitement. He just looked at me in disbelief. Things have changed of course it's been a long time. But I thought "who are you to tell me where I am in my life?"My belief in a situation like that is the answer is always love, it's a win-win situation.Know one ever loses from that.Teresa

Oh, yes,

I had that, too, Theresa. My own MOTHER cussed me out, up one side and down the other, telling me how irresponsible I was being by bringing a child into this world......EACH TIME I was pregnant. The first time she did it, I listened, and tried to argue with her; the other 2 times--after she started in on me, I simply hung up on her. I didn't even tell her when I was due with my 2 boys......

Ignorance is bliss!
I guess it's a good thing I lived 1500 miles away from family when I first became pregnant. Of course at the time my family didn't know much about epilepsy either because I moved away shortly after being diagnosed because of my husband's (at the time) job. I did have two miscarriages. I also had two healthy pregnancies while staying on my AED and working with all my docs. My children have witnessed thier mother having seizures, so it makes them stronger, more sensitive & caring for others. AND both of my kids are now two healthy, happy, vibrant college graduates doing very well, thank you..........

Cindy

Thank-you for sharing. I'm sorry this is so short,I have had a long day and I am tired. I will write more later. Teresa

Back
Top Bottom