Woohoo!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right forum. I'm also not sure if this post was caused by the shot of espresso I just had, but whatever!

I'm on Depakote now, current dose is 500mg morning and 500mg night. Doc just added a 3rd dose of 500mg during the day. I might also mention that I'm on 200mg of vimpat morning and night.

Guess what? It's working! Finally! I've gone from 5-15 seizures a day (sometimes more) to 1, *maybe* 2 a day, if that. Had a quite a number of seizure free days.

I had my doubts about the depakote because of my experiences before but this one seems to be a winner. Here's to a good 2017. :bjump:

I'm not sure if this is the right forum. I'm also not sure if this post was caused by the shot of espresso I just had, but whatever!

I'm on Depakote now, current dose is 500mg morning and 500mg night. Doc just added a 3rd dose of 500mg during the day. I might also mention that I'm on 200mg of vimpat morning and night.

Guess what? It's working! Finally! I've gone from 5-15 seizures a day (sometimes more) to 1, *maybe* 2 a day, if that. Had a quite a number of seizure free days.

I had my doubts about the depakote because of my experiences before but this one seems to be a winner. Here's to a good 2017. :bjump:

Congrats!

Thanks all. My seizures have never been controlled so this is a huge change for me. It's taken a long time and a neurologist who didn't care.

We'll see how long the ovation lasts for; big bumps in the road coming ahead.

Hi resaebiunne,

That's great news and I'm happy for you. I took Depakote yrs. ago and it worked great for me until my body became immune to the drug. I'm on vimpat also and that drug along with cbd has decreased my seizures to the lowest amount ever in my life. Wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Happy New Year and hoping for more seizure free days!!

I sometimes think of my epilepsy situation and diagnosis as being "boring" at times. I haven't had to go through extensive medication changes or issues, surgeries. My biggest issues have always been medication side effects and coping with different issues from scar tissue in my temporal lobe. I then realized that boring and controlled with epilepsy is good. So here is hoping that your epilepsy store transitions to "boring and controlled" which means things will transitions to more normalcy in your life.

Hopefully this didn't come out wrong or weird, if it does I apologize.

Congratulations on how things have progressed with your medication change and here's looking to the future!

I sometimes think of my epilepsy situation and diagnosis as being "boring" at times.

My main seizure type is a head "jerk" which correlated to primary generalized seizures of very short duration. It's never been as serious as full blown tonic-clonic seizures that some people seem to have, but I have gone status epilepticus (about 3 or 4 times) and had full blown tonic-clonics as a result. My epilepsy has never been controlled. I'm excited about the recent results, but the effects of the medication change may only be short lived (as was the case with the Keppra). That's the problem I have with all these med changes. Some things seem to work for a few weeks and then the effects wear off (i.e. Keppra) and others don't control anything at all (the Lamictal made my seizures more frequent). I also have been getting side-swiped by side effects lately. It was never a big deal until the last few months. First I couldn't see straight (eyes rolling to the back of my head), I was losing my sense of balance (thanks Lamictal), and now my tremors are out of this world (but that's always been an issue).

Back to reality here. I need more espresso :bjump:

I have 2 main goals for the year: 1) Find a better job (if that's even possible for me), and 2) Be able to drive again (in part, see item 1).

Last edited:
resaebiunne, I think I'm in the same boat as you as far as the Lamictal is concerned. I have noticed that I cannot get my eyes to focus as well. I see double, while you report that your eyes rolled back; even when I blink hard a couple times, I can't get the old peepers to behave properly.

I don't yet know what vimpat is, but I'm happy the Depakote is working for you!

Back
Top Bottom