Wootwootwootywootwoot!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Also...

Now that you're getting in so soon, make sure to have a list of questions ready.

I should have questions for the EEG techs? Other than can I watch and what does that wobbly line mean?

Ooops,

I thought you were getting into the neurologist early.

I'd still want to ask the tech things like what wave does each line represent & how can you tell the difference b/w a sz or someone just flexing a muscle or mentally focusing on something.

I will definitely keep those in my head for the the test. Thank you Epileric! I want to understand all of this as completely as possible -- it's my stress-coping technique.

YAAAAAAAAAYY! lame i know but i felt like i should express my happiness for u lol. couldnt come up w. anything original

T - 5 days!

I have a print out of one of my old EEGs, unfortunately it was one of those that came back normal. I did get to see the spikes on another one, but no print out.

:cheers:

Heeheehee. I love the countdown! It puts a smile on my face every morning!

Morgan -- yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy expresses it very well ;)

tick tick tick tick... It's like waiting for Christmas to arrive!

That is great news. Like you said "may the EEG gods smile kindly upon you". I hope all goes well. Enjoy the weekend. :banana:
Best Wishes
Debbie
:woot:

OCCB, the EEG techs might not be able to answer your questions as far as the seizures are concerned. Usually, they're trained to make certain that the machinery operates correctly and that the electrodes are attached to Scott's head in the correct locations correctly. Depending on the type of electrodes used, there can be a type of liquid-like adhesive used to keep the electrodes on his head or they can be small very short needle-like electrodes which are inserted into his scalp.

The wavy lines are the measurement of the electrochemical activity going on in his brain at the time the EEG is being taken. While I'm not an EEG tech, I would dare say that there are regular patterns of lines for normal electrical activity going on. Any abnormal activity will show in some irregular pattern of the lines which will show across the screen. The different stimuli Scott will endure will be along the lines of short strobe light bursts, requests to breathe deeply, open his eyes, close his eyes, etc., on a repeated basis a couple of times for several minutes at a time. If Scott has specific triggers like lights or smells, the techs won't give these triggers for a period of time long enough to provoke a seizure, although the irregular activity will show up on the EEG.

The electrodes are placed in different areas of Scott's brain to determine the area of where his seizures are located - parietal lobes (front) temporal lobes (side) occiput (back of the head), frontal (front or forehead), etc.

I hope this clues you in a bit! :!: :D

Last edited:
Yes, awesome McGill! That totally helps! It's nice to have that kind of detail, and how they'll go about the test.

Thank you!

Hi Occb

Great news about your partner getting in early for the EEG :clap:.

So, I was talking to partner today and he is genuinely touched by everybody's well wishes here and wants to say thank you to each of you. He's tried to get on to post, but he "can't figure this darn forum out!" *sigh* He's still getting used to the interwebs, and the computer tends to space him out a bit, so lessons are very slow-moving.

In other news, his mother actually asked him about "that test on Tuesday". It's the first time that I know of that she's even asked about his health. Of course, that was cushioned between guilt-trip statements about his not going to Vegas with his brother due to health issues. That's a whole partner family drama that's been going on for a month. He told brother he probably wouldn't go, so don't buy the tix, but brother bought the tix because they were a good deal, despite whether partner went or not. Now mom has called him everyday re: Vegas, but never calls re: health. Whadda peach!

Partner's brother just send an email about having dinner at BB King's club -- I can't help but think that was a personal dig at partner, since he's a massive blues fan, and a blues guitar player.

Is it okay for me to hate his family?

Back
Top Bottom