Would this be considered a myclonic or clonic?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been dealing with a really nasty infection for the past month or so which has caused the worst pain I have ever felt to the point where I've had seizures.

Last night, it happened to me again while I was having a pretty bad pain attack. After the pain went away, I couldn't remember what had just happened. My girlfriend had told me that it started with a few leg jerks, then my leg tensed up. It ultimately led to a complex partial.

Since the jerking and tensing was just localized in my leg, would this be considered a nasty myclonic or a clonic?

Myoclonics don't usually include memory loss or consciousness impairment or lead to partial seizures (they are their own type of seizure and not associated with partials)--but they can lead to tonic clonics. So if you don't remember any of the leg jerking it probably wasn't a myoclonic--unless it was a myoclonic that led to a tonic clonic, and the tonic clonic retroactively wiped out your memory (which of course happens). I would bet it was probably a complex partial from beginning to end--that's just my guess, others may have a better guess.

Hi Ive been plagued by jerks since Oct.Lately the jerks resemble tremors as they go on for a longer period maybe 20 secs.The EEG said it showed to epiletic. and are continous vs the quik jerks before.I also had a EEG awhile ago and my arm tighted up when they used the lights.They also seem to come on if i exercised more than ususal.Today they came on vey strong for awhile after a lunch.I wonder what others might feel about these events.I do have PD since 2009 and Ive seen others but seldom with htese symptoms..Thanks
johni do take extra b12 and cut back on caffeine.

What you had doesn't sound to me like myoclonic or clonic. Sometimes severe pain can cause parts of the body to tense up, and if the pain is severe enough one can "blank out" for a short time. It is possible that what happened wasn't even a seizure. Have you by chance ever had one of these pain attacks happen during an EEG? Since the pain is so frequent right now, it might be worth asking if you neurologist could set you up with an ambulatory EEG to see if by chance any abnormalities can be recorded during one of these attacks.

Hi Master jem
i dint have any pain before my last attack.i was ittingin a resteraunt for awhile and when i got up they started.Seems I can drive and few problems but riding will bring them on.have to keep my mind busy with like tying here but if I stop and rest they will come,strange huhmaybe a good remedy though haha
thanks for your reply
john

Hi Master jem
i dint have any pain before my last attack.i was ittingin a resteraunt for awhile and when i got up they started.Seems I can drive and few problems but riding will bring them on.have to keep my mind busy with like tying here but if I stop and rest they will come,strange huhmaybe a good remedy though haha
thanks for your reply
john

I was actually responding to skyfire's initial post lol, but that's okay. Thanks for reading my post anyway!

They also seem to come on if i exercised more than ususal.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of exercise was it?

Have you by chance ever had one of these pain attacks happen during an EEG?
I've never had pain attacks during an EEG. Luckily, the pain (and infection) went away last week after a pretty hefty regimen of painkillers and antibiotics. Even though it's gone, I'll definitely talk to my neuro about it because I'm now quite intrigued.

i went walking with my dog walked about two miles.I went half that and still got them,shoulder shrugs that cause you to almost fall and arm jerks

John, are you taking anti-seizure medication to control the tremors? If so, has it been helping?

In addition to avoiding caffeine, it can help to make sure you are staying hydrated and getting enough sodium/potassium/magnesium (since those minerals play a role in relaxing muscles). And if your seizures are in part triggered by flashing lights, you might try wearing polarized sunglasses, or avoiding exercising when there's bright or dappled sun.

They gave me clonezpan but I also have PD.It made my PD bad enough i had to use a walker.I also made the jerks stronger when the med wore off.Ive been better but it;s coming back again.This all started afte a epidural steroid shot in my back in october2014.Thanks much for tip on using sunglsses didnt think of that might cause it.thanks again.During my EEG the jerks were much stronger when they used the lights,said it was nonepileptic myoclonus poosably spinal.Not much detail on the report who could deciper the EEG to see where the myoclonus orginates from .thanks again,john

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom