Your wishes,religion and E

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ADK

New
Reaction score
I had been in Complex Partial Status Epilepticus. I'm finishing the tests for some sort of surgery. My Neuro has talked about VNS or Lobectomy. All I have left is the WATA test. I am not sure what I am going to do. After in depth research and a 50/50 success rate I just may do nothing.

Now the questions came up. I'm Catholic and so are my parents. I have not been able to make medical decisions for myself because I could not think clearly, read, write, or understand what the hell was going on in a post-ictal state.

The fights have begun only causing more stress.

Who is going to be my Health Care Proxy?

Do I want a living will?

Who is going to have a Durable Power of Attorney?

What if I cannot speak or I am not competent to make decisions?

Do I need a will?

I know what my wishes are but religion and faith have taken a toll on my family.

I never would have thought that all of these questions could have arisen.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Hi ADK,

I've had the WADA testing, had an unsuccessful Left Temporal Lobectomy and the VNS, which has helped control the seizures to some degree. Do you know which side the lobectomy will be on? They claim, from what I have heard that the Right lobectomies are more successful than the Left lobectomies. However, if they're telling you that it is just a 50/50 chance, then I'd do nothing, depending tho, upon on how bad the seizures are.
I also hope that your parents aren't expecting you to make decisions when your in the ictal state.

Yes, you do need a will, living will, and you can name who you wish to be your health care proxy and who to have a Power of Attorney. If you were unable to speak (GOD forbid)because of surgery, then choose someone you trust and knows your wishes. When I had mine drawn up, fortunately, religion didn't play a role in it.
At the time I was married, and named my husband at the time as the power of attorney. But after the surgery and more problems, the marriage disintegrated. So if I were to do it again, I would have named my sister as the Power of Attorney and Health Care proxy.

I hope you and your family will find some resolution soon.

Cindy

Who is going to be my Health Care Proxy?

Do I want a living will?

Who is going to have a Durable Power of Attorney?

What if I cannot speak or I am not competent to make decisions?

Do I need a will?

These are issues everyone who is likely to visit the ER from time to time should address.

When I was transported via EMS to the ER I had no recollection what was going on.

I was given phenobarbytol and adivan.

I had no idea what was happening. I had a CT scan and no idea.

It was scary.

Back
Top Bottom